In 2007 God accomplished some amazing things through the Somebody Cares network! Here is a glimpse of the year:
- God added to our number with five new Somebody Cares America chapters (St. Augustine FL, Tomball, Brazos Valley, San Antonio, West Pasco FL), and three international chapters (Brazil, Caribbean, and Poland)!
- In Brazil, our new chapter had opportunity to immediately show that Somebody Cares to survivors of an earthquake that left over 300 families homeless.
- “Bible sticks” containing the Bible in MP3 format were delivered to underground church pastors in the Middle East as part of their leadership training.
- Over 100 people attended the disaster preparedness training seminars we offered in Houston, Dallas, and York, PA. More will be schedule in 2008 in other parts of the country.
- The 24 hour prayer line in the Tampa Bay area ministered to 2424 distressed callers pointing them to the one who holds all the answers, Jesus Christ!
- In Houston the chapter continued to minister to Katrina “transplants” in a senior citizen apartment complex with weekly Bible studies and activity nights.
- Ministries and churches in New Orleans, who continue to serve in the long-term process of restoration, were given financial support to encourage and better equip them to continue restoring hope to lives in despair.
- California fire victims, who lost everything, received new toys for Christmas through our partnership with K.J’s Carts for Kids.
- A Workforce Empowerment Center was opened in Houston to provide computer and life skills training to those who need it.
- Somebody Cares San Antonio gave away 2000 pairs of brand new tennis shoes for back to school through their “Share Your Sole” event.
- The Humble chapter administers the compassion fund of a Fortune 500 company, offering emergency assistance to employees who face unplanned budget crises.
- CareFest expanded and served hundreds of people as churches, ministries, and local businesses partnered in community service initiatives throughout Plant City, Tampa Bay, and St. Augustine. In Tampa Bay alone, 175 service projects were performed, providing a combined total of over one million dollars of goods and services to their communities.
- The Brazos Valley chapter officially launched with a Street Festival featuring a car show, food, games, music, and special guest speaker Nicky Cruz. Hundreds were served and found hope in Christ!
- The Southeast Texas chapter donated 75 Toys-R-Us gift cards for a Christmas outreach to immigrant families and their children on Christmas Eve.
- Our Pasadena, TX chapter Music Conservatory is making the city a safer place to live by empowering youth through music for a productive and prosperous future.
- In Tomball, TX the chapter distributed school supplies and backpacks through the school district to children from underprivileged families. They also sponsored weekly ESL classes.
God also gave blessings in other ways:
- Who’s Your Daddy Now? was published and sown into the lives of young people and youth workers across the U.S. We’ve received so many testimonies from people whose lives have been healed from years of pain!
- Born to Die audio book as well as the Spanish version of Born to Die were released. The book is being used for Bible studies by churches and ministries around Mexico!
- Doug spoke to Senate staffers in D.C. about integrity and character for “preachers and politicians”, encouraging them with the impact they can have on our nation’s future.
Linking together and partnering as a net to be a tangible expression of Christ’s love to our communities allows God to work in incredible ways! Already the opportunities laid out in 2008 are greater than ever before.