Revival Isn’t What You Think! with Winkie Pratney (Episode 172)
Our Guests: Winkie Pratney
With over three million miles of global travel, speaking to hundreds of thousands face-to-face and multiple millions via radio and television, Winkie has wide experience in motivating leaders, ministers, educators, and young people. He has the gift of communicating existing ideas in a way that makes them practical and freely available to others.
Scriptures and Key Points:
“When God finds someone with courage to pray and live a life of holiness and compassion, He can literally change the face of a nation.” – Winkie Pratney, Revival: Principles to Change the World
- We need to create a hunger level for people to get back to a personal consecration, so we’ll have God’s heart of compassion to reach the culture in which we are living.
- The second most checked box on the Billy Graham crusade decision cards was “I need assurance of salvation”.
- A lot of people have made some kind of religious decision, but their lives have never been affected or changed long enough for them to capture how wonderful God is.
- Many who had made decisions at the crusade were never contacted by the local church.
- The decision cards revealed 16 areas where assurance was needed.
- Out of those 16 areas came 21 CR, 21st Century Reformation.
“There will be no revivals without reformation.” – A.W. Tozer
- People need to return to the Lord and His Word and do what He’s asked them to do.
- “God is God, and you are not and neither am I”
- He is the only real God.
- “Make it hard on God and easy on you.”
- Let Him have the rule.
- Trust the Holy Spirit in everything you do.
- When you’re praying for revival, you’re praying for something you haven’t seen and something you don’t know what it will look like.
- “If you want to know what I’m like, study what I’ve made.”
- Seven Shocking Things about Revival
- When God does something, He never does it twice.
God is only asking for two simple things:
- The Fear of the Lord – to really understand who He is
- Exodus 33:18-23 NKJV Moses asks to see God’s glory
- Every revival must be preceded by the fear of the Lord.
- The first thing God told Israel was “Fear Me.”
- When people first see what God is like, it terrifies them.
- “My life is so unlike how it’s supposed to be.”
- Matthew 14:22-3 NKJV Jesus walks on the water
- “If it’s really You, prove it.”
- The scariest thing- Jesus saying, “Come”
- When you let go of the boat, that’s the time you realize who God is.
- The Fear of the Lord – to really understand who He is
“Revival is no more a miracle than a crop of wheat.” – Charles Finney
- The real miracle is the seed that goes beneath the surface and comes to life because God does something providential and divine.
- The religious of Finney’s day didn’t believe revival was happening even while there were many being saved.
- When Finney saw the first attempt at a biography of his life, he responded, “This is about me!… It’s not supposed to be about me, it’s supposed to be about Christ.”
- “If what I say today is not true, then I’ll quit what I’m doing and join you. But if it’s true, you need to give your life to Christ.” – Finney
- In all the preparation that we do, we need to bring it before a Holy God.
- Then what we do and say needs to come from our spirit and not from our head.
John 14:6 NKJV Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
- He is the way out of our Egypt, the truth at Mount Sinai, and the life in the Promised Land.
- Sometimes He has to take us out of our Egypt into the desert to get the world out of us before we can possess our promised land.
- Always take God serious, but don’t take yourself so serious.
- God never does the same thing twice.
- If you study what God created, you see that no snowflake, sunset, or even cloud is alike.
- They may have the same structure, but there is no duplication.
- It’s the same with revivals.
- We’re not after the rainbow, but after the One who makes the rainbow.
Matthew 24:36 NKJV But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, but My Father only.
- Praying for revival is like worshiping Bethel rather than the El Bethel, the God of the house.
“Revival is neither more nor less than the impact of the personality of Jesus Christ upon a church or a community.” – Duncan Campbell
- When God shows up in this powerful moment, things change, but it may not look the way we expect.
- Our problem is that we have a box for our picture of God, but God doesn’t have any boxes at all.
- We think we know how He is going to do things because He gave us a book.
- God had David defeat the enemy differently each time
- God invented water, then speaks to it and tells it to make stuff and it does.
- God made man who was the most astonishing thing made even before the body had breath.
- He takes the human form and breathes on it and it becomes a living thing.
- When Jesus gives up his “breath”, the same word is used.
- The way God does things is never the same. It’s always unique. However, it does have common elements.
- When we’re looking for things like revival, we should ask ourselves: “What are the common elements?”
- We will see the repetitions:
- The Fear of the Lord will come
- People are terrified
- They realize they are a hopeless mess
- The One who made the world will talk to the individual and actually change him.
- There are many strategies for revival, but we still need to seek the Lord for the specific one for each occasion.
“Self is the opaque veil that hides the face of God from us.” – A.W. Tozer
“A.W. Tozer defined revival as that which changes the moral climate of a community.” – Winkie Pratney, Revival: Principles to Change the World
“It takes the supernatural to burst the bands of the natural.” – Duncan Campbell
- Science and Art are not separate things to God.
- Why seven candlesticks?
- The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit are three
- East, West, North, South (the corners of creation) are four
- Added together it’s the Creator and His creation
- Ask God what He wants you to do, not what you thought you could do.
- “Tell them what you were and tell them what you are now.”
- What have you done with the gifts that God has given you?
- Just trust Him. He knows what He’s doing.
- Seek God rather than seeking what He’s done in the past.
- The greatest opposition to the next revival is the back-slidden fruit of the revival that went before.
- God is looking for the heart. He’s not asking for your brain.
“If you want to be globally good at anything, you have to have one of three things: #1 English, #2 Theology, or #3 Chemistry.” – Dorothy Sayers
- You must worship the Creator, not the Creation.
- For 2,000 years we’ve had the mentality of clergy vs laity.
- If it’s something that we are good at or enjoy doing, it is a facet of God’s character that He has invested in our lives.
- The first thing God made was a garden.
- He didn’t just speak a garden into existence. He made a garden because He is a gardener.
- God is bigger than all our boxes.
- He is a living God and we can tap into Him for the specific strategy for our lives.
Exodus 3:14 NKJV And God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.” And He said, “Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, ‘I AM has sent me to you.’ ”
- God as entertainer is the fourth largest study in the Bible.
- Our posture for His presence is to place our heart in humility before a Holy God.
Proverbs 22:29 MEV Do you see a man diligent in his business? He will stand before kings; he will not stand before obscure men.
- “Lord, I’ll make myself available.”
- The highest form of worship is to walk in simple obedience.
- The Kingdom of God is built on relationships. First with God, then with one another.
- Ecclesia is not just a gathering; it’s the marketplace.
WinkiePratney.net (please see “Written Teachings” under the Media section for 21CR Conference Outline and tracks)
Books by Winkie Pratney:
Revival: Principles to Change the World by Winkie Pratney
Youth Aflame! 2.0: A Manual for Discipleship by Winkie Pratney
Spiritual Vocations: A Voyage of Discovery by Winkie Pratney
Forerunner of the Charismatic Movement by Arnold Dallimore
Digital Version of The Revival Study Bible
- 21CR is also in the Revival Study Bible on pages 1577-1578
- Also in the Revival Study Bible is Dr. Tamara Winslow’s study on the Anointing on pages 1861-1868
If you are interested in a copy of “Seven Shocking Things about Revival”, “The Memorial Address at Oberlin” by Finney’s grandson, or on Winkie’s teaching on the Parable of the Soils, feel free to contact us at [email protected].
Connect with Us:
Share this message with a friend and subscribe for weekly encouragement and inspiration!
You can also receive weekly Provoke-a-Thought emails, monthly teaching emails, periodic ministry updates, or join our prayer team by signing up here!
Download a free 30-day devo at AWordInSeasonPodcast.org