“Surviving the Anointing” with David Ravenhill
Our Guest: David Ravenhill
David Ravenhill, son the late Leonard Ravenhill, and author of Surviving the Anointing has served the Lord for more than 40 years as a missionary, pastor, teacher and itinerant minister, having worked with the late evangelist David Wilkerson, Youth With A Mission, pastor Mike Bickle and the late evangelist Steve Hill. He is the author of several books, including “For God’s Sake, Grow Up!” and “Welcome Home.”
Surviving the Anointing Scriptures and Key Points:
Psalm 118:17 NKJV I shall not die, but live, and declare the works of the Lord.
- Relationships give definition to our lives and ministries.
Proverbs 14:4 NKJV Where no oxen are, the trough is clean; but much increase comes by the strength of an ox.
Criteria of God for a Movement to Outlast a Moment:
- Key Leadership
- “What do we do with what God does in the hearts of people?”
“No leader sets out to fail.” -Doug Stringer
- You can be around exciting moves of God, but unless it gets inside of you, you can dry up in the wilderness.
- To survive the anointing, David said, “God gave me the gift of absolute dependency on God.”
“I don’t ever want you in the office in the morning until you’ve spent at least an hour on your face before God.” – Peter Morrow
- Ministry flows out of relationship.
- Your emphasis should be on spending time alone with God.
- Dig your own well that you can draw refreshing from when things get tough.
2 Kings 4:1-7 NKJV Elisha and the Widow’s Oil
“The more emptiness you can present to God the more of His fullness you can receive.” – Tommy Tenney
- We fill ourselves up with man’s way of doing things and there’s very little left for God.
Psalm 127:1 NKJV Unless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who build it…
“God doesn’t answer prayer, He answers desperate prayer.” -Leonard Ravenhill
- It is in the place of prayer and intimacy with God that true success is found.
Mark 3:13-15 NKJV And He went up on the mountain and called to Him those He Himself wanted. And they came to Him. Then He appointed twelve, that they might be with Him and that He might send them out to preach, and to have power to heal sicknesses and to cast out demons.
- Jesus appointed the twelve to be with Him.
- We have no right to preach until we’ve spent time with Him.
1 John 1:1-4 NKJV That which was from the beginning, which we have heard, which we have seen with our eyes, which we have looked upon, and our hands have handled…
- To know Christ and make Him known.
“Let others live on the raw edge of the cutting edge. You and I shall live on the edge of eternity.” – Leonard Ravenhill
- The only way to press on is to press in.
- Conception, even of ministry, doesn’t take place at a distance.
- We need to be completely transparent before the Lord.
- Oftentimes we invite the Lord in as a guest in our lives, but don’t give him the rights as owner.
Exodus 25:8-9 NKJV And let them make Me a sanctuary, that I may dwell among them. According to all that I show you, that is, the pattern of the tabernacle and the pattern of all its furnishings, just so you shall make it.
- You can tell a lot about someone by visiting their house.
Revelation 5:1 NKJV And I saw in the right hand of Him who sat on the throne…
- God occupies His throne in His habitation.
- Are we prepared to give Him the throne (authority/power) in our lives?
1 Timothy 6:15 NKJV …He who is the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings and Lord of lords.
Luke 19:11-27 NKJV …But his citizens hated him, and sent a delegation after him, saying, ‘We will not have this man to reign over us.’…
- How can Jesus be our Savior if He’s not our Lord?
- We can’t just give God our sin; we need to give Him our lives.
Psalm 103:12 NKJV As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us.
- Christ died to have a people for Himself.
1 Corinthians 6:19-20 NKJV Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own? For you were bought at a price; therefore glorify God in your body and in your spirit, which are God’s.
“Many want an Upper Room experience like on the day of Pentecost, but they’re unwilling to humble themselves on their knees at the cross of Christ.” – Leonard Ravenhill
- An essential quality of a Spiritual Leader is dependency.
John 5:19 NKJV Then Jesus answered and said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner.
- Jesus modeled dependency.
“Very few people survive the anointing.” – Paul Cain
Ezekiel 28:14 NKJV “You were the anointed cherub…
1 Samuel 26:21 NKJV …Indeed I have played the fool and erred exceedingly.
2 Chronicles 26 NKJV …But when he was strong his heart was lifted up, to his destruction, for he transgressed against the Lord his God…
Revelation 2-3 NKJV The Seven Churches
- God never judges a church by its size.
“Am I mistaken or have I noticed among our churches a drift towards the observation of holy days and new moons and seasons? If such a thing is true, let us revolt against it. Let us throw off the yoke of bondage from which we were, at a very great cost, set free.” – A.W. Tozer
9 Issues Facing the Church:
- A Lack of Biblical Teaching
- False Doctrine
- Worldly Compromise
- Lack of Anointed Worship
- Hirelings and False Prophets
- Unity at the Expense of Truth
- Wrong Church Government
- Lack of Prayer
- A Regression to Jewish traditions
Proverbs 4:18 NKJV But the path of the just is like the shining sun, that shines ever brighter unto the perfect day.
- The New Testament is the fulfillment of the types and shadows in the Old Testament.
- You don’t make altars out of what God has done, but use them as landmarks.
Isaiah 37 NKJV …For the children have come to birth, but there is no strength to bring them forth…
Psalm 40:2 NKJV He also brought me up out of a horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet upon a rock, and established my steps.
Philippians 1:6 NKJV Being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.
Ephesians 3:20 NKJV Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us.
Proverbs 10:22 NKJV The blessing of the Lord makes one rich, and He adds no sorrow with it.
The Cross and the Switchblade by David Wilkerson
Blood Bought by David Ravenhill
The Jesus Letters by David Ravenhill
They Drank from the River and Died in the Wilderness by David Ravenhill
Surviving the Anointing by David Ravenhill
The Gentile Roots of the Jewish Faith by David Ravenhill
Overcoming the Enemy’s Plans to Destroy Your Life by David Ravenhill
The Life of A. W. Tozer: In Pursuit of God by James L. Snyder
Why the Church Must Invite God Back Into His Own House by Doug Stringer
Connect with Us:
Share this message with a friend and subscribe for weekly encouragement and inspiration!
You can also receive weekly Provoke-a-Thought emails, monthly teaching emails, periodic ministry updates, or join our prayer team by signing up here!
Download a free 30-day devo at AWordInSeasonPodcast.org