The Great Gift of Advent (Episode 198)
Scriptures and Key Points:
Philippians 4:7 NKJV And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
- We need to let our lights shine so that we can draw others to Christ.
John 8:12 NKJV Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.”
- Advent should remind us that God sent His Son into this world that we might have a relationship with Him.
- This season should not be about just celebrating the birth of Christ but looking forward and being watchful because our redemption draws near.
1 John 1:5-7 NKJV This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.
- In the birth of Christ there was a preparation for His death.
- Gold, frankincense, and myrrh were all burial items for a king.
Matthew 2:11 NKJV And when they had come into the house, they saw the young Child with Mary His mother, and fell down and worshiped Him. And when they had opened their treasures, they presented gifts to Him: gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
- Even at His birth, Jesus was recognized and honored as royalty!
Hebrews 12:2 NKJV Looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
- Even the word “excruciating” did not exist until a word was needed to describe the pain of death by crucifixion.
“A Gift for the King of all Kings!” “Frankincense for the Priest of all Priests!” “For the sacrifice of all sacrifices!” – The Nativity Story
- It is impossible to have a strong foundation as a Christian unless we have a revelation of the Passion of Christ, the Work of The Cross, and The Power of the Resurrection…and how it can transform our lives today. Without that understanding, we will be apathetic believers at best.
- We may have heard about the Cross so often that the thought of our sins that put Him there doesn’t still break our hearts, igniting a burning passion of gratitude and service within us.
“Self is the opaque veil that hides the Face of God from us. It can be removed only in spiritual experience, never by mere instruction…Promoting self under the guise of promoting Christ is currently so common as to excite little notice.” – A.W. Tozer
“Are the things you’re living for worth Christ dying for?” – Leonard Ravenhill
- We need to be rekindled in heart with a renewed revelation of the Work of the Cross, and the Holy Spirit Revelation and Power available to each of us.
John 10:10 NKJV The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.
Book about God’s Greatest Gift:
- Born to Die by Doug Stringer (On sale through 12/31/2022)
Connect with Us:
Share this message with a friend and subscribe for weekly encouragement and inspiration!
You can also receive weekly Provoke-a-Thought emails, monthly teaching emails, periodic ministry updates, or join our prayer team by signing up here!
Download a free 30-day devo at AWordInSeasonPodcast.org