Stewarding Our Liberties and Freedoms (Episode 177)
Scriptures and Liberties Key Points:
We are thankful for the liberties and freedoms gained for us!
“We have God to thank for America’s birthday.” – George Washington
“No people can be bound to acknowledge and adore the invisible hand, which conducts the Affairs of men more than the People of the United States. Every step, by which they have advanced to the character of an independent nation, seems to have been distinguished by some token of providential agency.” – George Washington
- Philadelphia was the location of:
- The first Supreme Court
- The first Federal Capital
- The Birthplace of the Declaration of Independence
- The “An Appeal to Heaven” Flag became a symbol of people looking for freedom knowing that their only hope was to appeal to Heaven.
- Native Americans at the time used the evergreen tree as a form of covenant.
- The term “burying the hatchet” is said to have come from the practice of the Native Americans burying their weapons at the base of the evergreen tree as a promise to no longer fight one another.
- The phrase “An Appeal to Heaven” was created by John Locke.
- Locke studied natural laws which became the origin of our “unalienable rights” and the foundation of our country.
- We must not take our freedoms for granted, but steward them with respect and a sense of responsibility.
“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.” – Ronald Reagan
- Our founding fathers understood that freedom naturally decays as societies expand unless people of principle defend it.
- We may not agree on every issue, but may we always remember to have respect and show civility in our public discourse.
“…We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness…” – The Declaration of Independence
“…One Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.” – The Pledge of Allegiance
Acts 17:26-28 NKJV And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings, so that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us; for in Him we live and move and have our being, as also some of your own poets have said, ‘For we are also His offspring.’
- What nation in the world has the diversity and melting pot of the nations but here in the United States of America?
- We have a great opportunity to reach the nations.
Galatians 5:1 NKJV Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.
- Our freedoms and liberties have a price.
Hebrews 2:3 NKJV How shall we escape if we neglect so great a salvation, which at the first began to be spoken by the Lord, and was confirmed to us by those who heard Him
Philippians 3:10 NKJV That I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death
- We have a responsibility and stewardship to protect those liberties that were given to us.
- Don’t allow your liberties to become a license to do what you want.
James 1:25 NKJV But he who looks into the perfect law of liberty and continues in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this one will be blessed in what he does.
- We have a redemptive purpose of God that we can walk in the values of the Kingdom of God and let the light of Christ shine in us.
Matthew 5:16 NKJV Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.
Links to Liberty Articles:
An Appeal To Heaven article by Doug Stringer
An Appeal To Heaven flag article by WallBuilders
Connect with Us:
Share this message with a friend and subscribe for weekly encouragement and inspiration!
You can also receive weekly Provoke-a-Thought emails, monthly teaching emails, periodic ministry updates, or join our prayer team by signing up here!
Download a free 30-day devo at AWordInSeasonPodcast.org