From the Desk of Doug Stringer
FROM THE DESK OF DOUG STRINGER
PO BOX 570007 HOUSTON TX 77257
Thank you for your faithful support this year in giving, prayer, and friendship. With your partnership, we were able to accomplish many milestones in 2006:
- Two of my books went to the publisher. Born to Die…that we may live was delivered earlier this month, and Who’s Your Daddy Now? will be out the first quarter of 2007.
- Somebody Cares America, long known for its integrity in all areas of ministry, became a member of the Evangelical Council of Financial Accountability.
- Chapter representatives from all over the nation—along with Somebody Cares International reps from Brazil, Fiji, and Israel—attended our Somebody Cares Summit in October. We also celebrated our 25th anniversary at the conclusion of the Summit, with 500 friends of Turning Point Ministries and Somebody Cares gathered together to reflect on the goodness of God in allowing us to be used by Him to impact multitudes around the world since our beginning in 1981.
- We continued our ministry to Hurricane Katrina evacuees with a weekly Bible study at a seniors apartment complex, along with outreaches at Christmas and Easter. We also sent a ministry team to a Valentine’s Day outreach in New Orleans to serve and help distribute two truckloads of school supplies and boxes of backpacks we procured from some of our partners. Because we always believe in identifying and empowering local ministries, we continue to connect with and support our partners based on-site in Mississippi and New Orleans.
- Hundreds of children received eyeglasses and hearing aids through the Lift Up America “Giving Hope Tour” kick-off here in Houston, where Somebody Cares served as the local coordinator. In addition to identifying needy families and recruiting volunteers and local business participation, our Somebody Cares office hosted the hearing aid fittings for the Starkey Foundation, who gave away over a million dollars in hearing aids. You should have seen the joy on the faces of these children as many of them were able to hear clearly for first time! One of them even wrote to us: “Thank you from the bottom of my heart! For the rest of my life I will remember what you did to help me hear like most everyone else! God bles you all!”
- I was honored to accept preaching invitations for revival services in Australia and Montana, an Indonesian retreat in Boston, and many other church services, compassion coalition meetings, and emerging generation rallies throughout the nation, from Oregon to Florida to Upstate New York.
- We convened a summit on disaster preparedness and relief in Washington D.C. from which we are implementing a disaster preparedness and relief manual and training for church-based and faith-based organizations. Several of our partners have already held or scheduled disaster preparedness and relief training seminars, many of them coordinated with civic groups, government agencies, mayors, police chiefs, and other local leaders. I was also invited back to Washington to be part of a disaster relief panel hosted by the Heritage Foundation.
- Hundreds of leaders were equipped, empowered, and encouraged through our quarterly meetings in Houston and through Persevering Leadership seminars at locations throughout the U.S.
- We welcomed new Somebody Cares chapters in Warren PA/Jamestown NY, Greater Lowell MA, Lawrence MA, Brazos Valley TX, Waco TX, Rochester NY, Brazil, and Kenya. We are also working on expanding our efforts in Pampa TX and Denver, and starting a chapter in Israel. Through these new affiliates and our chapters that were already established, hundreds and thousands of lives have been impacted with the tangible expression of Christ by bringing hope in times of need.
Your gift postmarked on or before December 31 is not only tax deductible for 2006, it will also help move us into the new year prepared to do the work God has laid before us in 2007: more books and teaching resources, Somebody Cares “compassion crusades,” increased staff, a radio program, development of new chapters and increased support for existing chapters, continuing seminars for leaders and emerging leaders, more revival services…the needs and the dreams are endless! But with your help, as we co-labor together, many lives will be reached and many hearts will be changed for eternity.
Your support means so much to us and, more important, to those we serve. Thank you for caring!
Dr. J. Doug Stringer
Founder and President
Turning Point Ministries International
Somebody Cares America/International
PS: Your gift to Turning Point Ministries, parent ministry of Somebody Cares America/ International, will support the ongoing work of both ministries in the U.S. and around the globe. You may also make your gift directly to Somebody Cares America, if you prefer. Both organizations can receive credit card donations and gifts of stock and property, and online donations may be made at www.somebodycares.org. We can also refer you to our financial planners to discuss the benefits of planned giving. If you would like any further information, please call us at 713-621-1498.