Our Guest: John Ruttkay, friend of a Jesus Movement key figure, Lonnie Frisbie
The Jesus Movement revival started in California and quickly spread across the nation and around the globe. A key figure the Lord used to ignite the Jesus Movement was a long haired hippie named Lonnie Frisbee. John Ruttkay had a front-row seat to the Jesus Movement and was one of Frisbee’s best friends.
This movement brought hundreds of thousands of people to Christ during the 1970s. The spiritual aftershocks and tremors from this earth shaking time continued for years.
Scriptures and Key Points:
- “This groundswell is looking just like when we got touched by the Lord.”
- The Jesus movement was a deep cry of the people of God leading to a spontaneous combustion.
Psalm 42:7 NKJV Deep calls unto deep at the noise of Your waterfalls; all Your waves and billows have gone over me.
- “How do you reach out to this group of people?”
- It’s the broken and contrite that the Lord uses.
- “I didn’t even know that hippies could be saved!”
- “I gotta tell you something: I love Jesus.” “Awesome, I’m a buddhist.”
- John watched the life of his christian friend and saw a difference in how he lived.
“There is a God-shaped vacuum in the heart of each man which cannot be satisfied by any created thing but only by God the Creator, made known through Jesus Christ.” ― Pascal
- John prayed, “God, you need to tell me who You are.”
- “It’s Jesus Christ. That’s who you’re looking for.”
- One’s morality often governs one’s theology.
John 14:6 NKJV Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.
- He had never known he needed to be born again.
John 15 NKJV “I am the true vine…
- John was overwhelmed by the love of God when he realized that Christ would have died just for him.
- You don’t need to blow the shofar; you need to be the shofar.
- There’s something transcendent when the Holy Spirit shows up.
John talks about the Jesus Movement:
- Everything was done in the context of community.
- The fear of the Lord was on them.
- The power of the Holy Spirit broke the power of sin over their lives.
- They had accountability to one another.
- Each of them had both feet in.
Keys for what God is doing now:
- Whenever God is doing something authentic, there will be counterfeits.
- Accountability keeps us in that place of scripture with a reverential fear of God.
Leviticus 10:1 KJV And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the Lord, which he commanded them not.
- This movement is an Abraham, Issac, and Jacob move.
- While the Jesus movement was primarily young people, there are now spiritual fathers and mothers to help guide the young people.
1 Corinthians 4:15 NKJV For though you might have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet you do not have many fathers; for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel.
John believes now is time for the fathers to pour out all they have on the sons.
- “We don’t need to be told what to do. Will you guide us and father us?”
Matthew 20:1-16 NKJV The Parable of the Workers in the Vineyard
- We don’t want to become like the early morning laborers and be jealous.
- The dreams and visions of the older generation can be accomplished by the coming prophetic generation.
Matthew 9:17 NKJV Nor do they put new wine into old wineskins, or else the wineskins break, the wine is spilled, and the wineskins are ruined. But they put new wine into new wineskins, and both are preserved.
- We want to help the next generation go farther than we did.
- The ministry of presence is to be there for people.
We need the incarnation of the presence of God.
- We don’t need to be a structure that puts God in a box, but an infrastructure that allows us to proclaim the gospel.
- A child on his father’s shoulders has a different perspective.
- Apostle simply means “sent out one”.
- John feels a momentum coming in what God is doing.
- Exposure, Implosions, Explosions
- The things, other than God, we put our trust in will begin to implode.
- God will pour out His Spirit in an explosion of His presence.
John’s keys for reaching the present generation:
Galatians 5:1 NKJV Stand fast therefore in the liberty by which Christ has made us free, and do not be entangled again with a yoke of bondage.
- There is deliverance and healing for the brokenness and trauma.
- John suggests getting to the root of what the issues are in a person.
- Holiness will be a big thing in this next move.
- The crest of this wave has repentance on it.
- It’s easy to deliver people when people want to repent of their sins.
- This is a decentralized movement that is coming.
- There will be different teams and leaders working in unity together.
- The greatest outpouring will showcase the father heart of God.
- The Father’s presence brings conviction which leads to that place of repentance which brings times of refreshing.
Romans 2:4 NKJV Or do you despise the riches of His goodness, forbearance, and longsuffering, not knowing that the goodness of God leads you to repentance?
- Holiness is not an external piety, but rather an inward consecration of hearts.
- We need Samuels to call out the giftings of this next generation.
- God can use many people with the anointing of the Holy Spirit.
- Yet we still need to allow the Lord to do an inward work in us, so there’s not a hindrance in what God wants to do through us.
There is Hope beyond our humanity.
- The hippie culture was super authentic and super real.
- “I’m just looking forward to being with Jesus.”
- We’re in a season of great deliverance and the power of God overshadowing us.
- We can’t create an altar to the past, but we can look at the landmarks of God’s faithfulness along the way to give us direction.
- God uses us, not because we’re perfect, but because we allow Him to use us.
- We need spiritual fathers and mothers to nurture the next generation.
- Greg Laurie’s interview with Ruslan about Lonnie Frisbee
- The Jesus Gathering
- Asbury Revival
- The Four Spiritual Laws
- Josh McDowell
- The Late Great Planet Earth
- First Love by David Wilkerson (about the Nicolaitans)
- Edward Irving
- The Vineyard Movement
- “God Used Lonnie Frisbee Powerfully Despite His Flaws” by Lee Grady
- Book 1: Not By Might Nor By Power: The Jesus Revolution by Lonnie Frisbee
- 2: Not By Might Nor By Power: The Great Commission by Lonnie Frisbee
- 3: Not By Might Nor By Power: Set Free by Lonnie Frisbee
- Leadership Awakening by Doug Stringer
- The Forgotten Ways by Alan Hirsch
- Billy Graham books
- C.S. Lewis books
Connect with Us:
Share this message with a friend and subscribe for weekly encouragement and inspiration!
You can also receive weekly Provoke-a-Thought emails, monthly teaching emails, periodic ministry updates, or join our prayer team by signing up here!
Download a free 30-day devo at AWordInSeasonPodcast.org