You Don’t Know What You Don’t Know With Kathy Branzell (Episode 165)
Our Guest: Kathy Branzell
Kathy Branzell is president of the National Day of Prayer Task Force. She also founded Fellowship and Christian Encouragement for Educators and served as a Rapid Response Chaplain for the Billy Graham Evangelical Association, National Coordinator of LOVE2020, and National Facilitator for the Mission America Coalition. Find out more about the National Day of Prayer at NationalDayofPrayer.org.
Scriptures and Key Points from Kathy’s interview
- Prayer with presence moves us into doing something that brings transformation into our communities.
- Prayer is a conversation.
- We need to invite God to be the author of our days.
“Prayer casts our faith on God and God on the world. Then, as we sit still, God projects us back into the world to serve and glorify Him.” – E.M. Bounds
- We are imperfect people being perfected by a perfect God.
Psalm 51:12 NKJV Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, and uphold me by Your generous Spirit.
“If a commission by an earthly king is considered an honor, how can a commission by a Heavenly King be considered a sacrifice?” – David Livingstone
- I was so busy trying to be like my earthly father, that it distracted me from being the Father’s girl.
- “You went looking for your biological father, but it was your Heavenly Father looking for you.”
- We can see the goodness of God even in the midst of difficult circumstances.
- “Either way I win!” and now I “Get to…”, Kathy’s son
“You don’t know what you don’t know.” – Kathy Branzell
- Look at every human being as an image-bearer carrying the purpose of God.
Psalm 139:14 NKJV I will praise You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made; Marvelous are Your works, and that my soul knows very well.
Colossians 2:7 NKJV Rooted and built up in Him and established in the faith, as you have been taught, abounding in it with thanksgiving.
“No leader sets out to fail.” – Doug Stringer
- Discouragement is a powerful drug.
- We need to keep sight of God and His promises.
Revelation 12:11 NKJV And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death.
“Maybe we’ll talk less about Washington and more about the whole nation in all the prayers being lifted up. We need them.” – Kathy Branzell
- Jesus never, ever sent a disciple out alone.
Genesis 2:18 NKJV And the Lord God said, “It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.”
- Everyone must have intercessors no matter what your assignment is.
- A group of intercessors who will pray the Word of God over you every single day
- You need to build your team and keep building your team.
- Always keep growing
- If a branch stunts its growth, it’s ready to be pruned.
- You have to have times of rest.
- Many failures happen in times of frustration and weariness.
- Leadership is a lonely place.
- Satan is more than happy to slither in and keep you company when you isolate yourself.
- Even Jesus had a circle of trusted friends.
- Sometimes the most spiritual thing we can do is rest.
- Many times we are driven by what we do rather than resting in who we are in the Lord and knowing He does battle for us.
2 Chronicles 20 NKJV …Thus says the Lord to you: ‘Do not be afraid nor dismayed because of this great multitude, for the battle is not yours, but God’s…
Daniel 11:32-35 NKJV Those who do wickedly against the covenant he shall corrupt with flattery; but the people who know their God shall be strong, and carry out great exploits…And some of those of understanding shall fall, to refine them, purify them, and make them white, until the time of the end; because it is still for the appointed time.
- That place of rest and quiet in God’s presence is where we are replenished and given clarity.
- Every fruit has a root.
- What lie did they (or I) believe?
- We need to tend to the roots in our lives.
- Kathy has learned that we don’t want to give the enemy a foothold, or even a toe, in our lives.
- Trace the root early so it can’t get grafted in.
- Your character is what you live out.
- The only person you can control is yourself.
Mark 11:25 NKJV And whenever you stand praying, if you have anything against anyone, forgive him, that your Father in heaven may also forgive you your trespasses.
John 13:34 NKJV A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another.
Hebrews 12:15 NKJV Looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled
- Hand your hurt to God and walk out love.
- It’s always the wrong person on the cross.
- We don’t sever relationships; we just move to new levels of relationship.
- Unforgiveness is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die.
- Nothing steals your joy, you give it away.
Proverbs 29:9 NKJV If a wise man contends with a foolish man, whether the fool rages or laughs, there is no peace.
Isaiah 55:9 NKJV “For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are My ways higher than your ways, and My thoughts than your thoughts.
2 Corinthians 3:18 NKJV But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.
- Ask God to lift you up.
- Don’t leave the person who hurt you behind. Pray them up.
- When you have the armor of God on, your skin is thick.
Galatians 5:22-23 NKJV But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law.
- Every moment matters.
John 12:47 NKJV And if anyone hears My words and does not believe, I do not judge him; for I did not come to judge the world but to save the world.
2 Corinthians 2:14 NKJV Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place.
- We live in a stinky world.
- Heaven forbid we become the stink.
Matthew 5:13-16 NKJV “You are the salt of the earth; but if the salt loses its flavor, how shall it be seasoned? It is then good for nothing but to be thrown out and trampled underfoot by men. “You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.
Luke 6:45 NKJV A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.
1 Corinthians 10:1- 13 NKJV The Five Sins
- Murmuring can inhibit us from walking in victory and entering into the promises of God.
Psalm 100:4 NKJV Enter into His gates with thanksgiving, and into His courts with praise. Be thankful to Him, and bless His name.
- Whose courts do we enter with murmuring?
- Murmuring and complaining is the praise music of hell.
- If there’s a root in me that’s true, search me and remove it.
Psalm 139 NKJV O Lord, You have searched me and known me…And see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
Hebrews 13:6 NKJV So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
- You have to keep your eyes on Jesus. Everything else is a distraction.
Proverbs 10:12 NKJV Hatred stirs up strife, but love covers all sins.
Sometimes we have to give up being right to be righteous
- Everything must be done out of the place of prayer and presence.
Philippians 1:6 NKJV Being confident of this very thing, that He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ
Ephesians 2:10 NKJV For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand that we should walk in them.
2 Thessalonians 3:13 NKJV But as for you, brethren, do not grow weary in doing good.
Kathy’s Four “A”s
- Acknowledge people as human beings
- There are people who are just wanting a “Hello”.
- Affirm them in who they are
- Say “Thank you!”
- We were called to love
- You have the ability to change the trajectory of someone’s life by administering those four things.
- Kathy has learned that you can never outgive God.
Revelation 1:8 NKJV “I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End,” says the Lord, “who is and who was and who is to come, the Almighty.”
Isaiah 40:11 NKJV He will feed His flock like a shepherd; He will gather the lambs with His arm, and carry them in His bosom, and gently lead those who are with young.
Philippians 4:19 NKJV And my God shall supply all your need according to His riches in glory by Christ Jesus.
Philippians 4:7 NKJV And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Proverbs 3:5 NKJV Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
Psalm 46:10 NKJV Be still, and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!
Hebrews 12:2 NKJV Looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
1 Corinthians 11:1 NKJV Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.
1 Samuel 1:17 NKJV Then Eli answered and said, “Go in peace, and the God of Israel grant your petition which you have asked of Him.”
Luke 21:28 NKJV Now when these things begin to happen, look up and lift up your heads, because your redemption draws near.”
Books from Kathy’s interview:
Have You Felt Like Giving Up Lately by David Wilkerson
Connect with Us:
Share this message with a friend and subscribe for weekly encouragement and inspiration!
You can also receive weekly Provoke-a-Thought emails, monthly teaching emails, periodic ministry updates, or join our prayer team by signing up here!
Download a free 30-day devo at AWordInSeasonPodcast.org