Our Witness Continues: Because of Partners Like You!
“Let this be an opportunity for your testimony – your witness – a true witness, rescuing lives.” Familiar excerpts of Scripture for those associated with the ministry of Somebody Cares. Founder and President, Doug Stringer exhorts young people and adults alike to make their lives count for the Gospel. What could bring harm and destruction in people’s lives is turned around as Believers intentionally impact lives by their actions.
That’s exactly what has happened over the past year as Texas’ Gulf Coast recovers from the devastation left by Hurricane IKE on September 13, 2008. One year later, thousands are still rebuilding and for many, hope has been restored. Many across this nation in cooperation with Somebody Cares America responded as they heard of the plight families faced. Teams converged from around the country to serve those in Anahuac, Bridge City, Port Arthur, Winnie, Stowall, Hankamer, Wallisville, Beaumont, Oak Island, San Leon, La Marque, Hitchcock, Houston and Galveston, Texas.
Those Who Served:
- By August 2009, 1100 youth volunteers from the East to West Coasts and cities in between served residents along the Texas’ Gulf Coast.
- Work Camp teams made repairs to 93 homes many of these homes requiring several weeks of work
- Volunteer hours accrued by just youth teams is more than 25,000; not including the tireless 24/7 service provided by the Houston area Somebody Cares staff and affiliates.
- From before Ike made landfall, many member organizations in the Somebody Cares network mobilized and were ready to serve as soon as the storm passed. From damage assessments and serving hot meals, to mucking out homes and helping rebuild, our wonderful ministry partners provided thousands of man hours and hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of product to help Ike survivors. A complete list of Ike Ministry Partners is being compiled and will be listed at a later date.
- Church Volunteer teams accrued over 11,000 additional hours. Teams hosted by Somebody Cares includes (but is not limited to):
Times Square Church, New York, NY: sent 60 people in 3 trips for a total of 2400 hours served!
Zion Christian Center, Florida: which brought a team of 9 for 9 days, they served a total of 648 hours!
Christian Cultural Center, Brooklyn, NY: sent 20 volunteer who gave 6 days and a total of 960 service hours!
Covenant Church, Carrollton, TX: had 22 people working 3 full days for a total of 528 hours!
The Fellowship, College Station, TX: brought 12 people for a work weekend giving 168 hours!
Parkway Presbyterian, Cumming, GA: had 6 people commit a week giving 240 volunteer hours!
Grace Community, Arlington, TX: brought a team of 19 for a weekend, they worked 266 hours!
Olivet University, Bourbonnais, IL: sent 3 people, who gave 60 hours!
Lakewood Church, Houston, TX: had 30 participants who worked 270 hours!
Arbitron Ratings, Pinehurst, TX: had 4 people give 32 hours!
YWAM Tyler, Garden Valley, TX: sent 10 people who served 300 hours!
The Potters House, Dallas TX: brought a team of 23 which served 300 hours!
WoodsEdge Community Church, Spring, TX: took 6 teams of 20 people on 6 Saturdays working a total of 960 hours!
And there are many, many others!
Types of Repairs made included:
- Removal of mud and debris from homes
- Insulation & Sheetrock
- Wheelchair ramps into homes
- Gutting and framing
- Interior & Exterior Painting
- Roofs and much more
- Repairs to individual homes and church buildings
In-Kind Donations augmented the capacity of recovery efforts and repairs made including:
- Approximately 100,000 meals were served
- Truck loads of pre-packaged meals & Non-perishable food
- Truck load of Gatorade and water
- Cots, air mattresses, lanterns, flashlights and batteries
- Baby items
- Pallets of Toiletries and hygiene kits
- Over 300 pallets of sinks, showers, tubs and toilets, lights, doors, and paint
- Flooring tile
- Men’s and women’s clothing
- Teddy Bears to comfort children
- Cases of Gospel literature
It is the support of many wonderful partners around the world that allows Somebody Cares to be a tangible expression of God’s love. Join us with a donation today in reaching someone in need!