Our Guest: Chuck Girard
Chuck Girard experienced the Jesus Movement firsthand. He is a singer, songwriter, recording artist, and worship leader, is one of the pioneers of Contemporary Christian Music. He was co-founder and lead singer of the group Love Song from its beginning to the present. Born in Los Angeles, and raised in both Southern and Northern California, Chuck began playing music at an early age. In his teens, he formed a group called The Castells, which had two national top 20 hits, “Sacred” and “So This Is Love”. They also released the song “I Do”, which was produced by Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys. It was during this time as a teenager that Chuck shared the stage with stars such as Roy Orbison, Jan and Dean, Jerry Lee Lewis, Bobby Vee, Jackie Wilson, Brenda Lee and others. This led to a successful career as a studio singer and musician which included singing the lead vocals on The Hondells first two albums and their biggest hit, “Little Honda”.
His Early Days:
In his early twenties Chuck became disillusioned with life, and like so many of his generation began experimenting with drugs. This led to a five-year search for God through LSD, eastern religion, and a committed “hippie” lifestyle. His search ended in 1970 at Calvary Chapel of Costa Mesa when he found true spiritual reality through accepting Jesus Christ as his Savior. Girard was already in the group called Love Song, and along with the conversions of the band members came the radical change in their message. Previously playing clubs, preaching “peace and love”, and LSD as the way to find God, they now had a new message, and with this change helped blaze the path for the beginnings of what would become known as “The Jesus Movement” and Contemporary Christian Music. Chuck played with Love Song for the next three years before launching solo with his first self-titled album Chuck Girard that produced his most renowned song “Sometimes Alleluia”.
Chuck to this day ministers through music, worship, and teaching in the United States and around the world.
Scriptures and Key Points:
- There’s a hunger in our hearts to see God move in revival again.
- Many great outpourings have come in times of difficulties.
- When it seemed humanly impossible, God poured out His Spirit.
- There is a counterfeit spiritual doorway with drug usage.
Acts 2:2-4 NKJV And suddenly there came a sound from heaven, as of a rushing mighty wind, and it filled the whole house where they were sitting. Then there appeared to them divided tongues, as of fire, and one sat upon each of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak with other tongues, as the Spirit gave them utterance.
Matthew 6:19-21 NKJV Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.
- “I didn’t want Christianity…I wanted to find God on a mountain.”
- “The Holy Spirit took a hold of me.”
- It’s not about living a moral life. It’s a one on one relationship with God.
- God never stops moving.
- The Jesus Movement at Calvary Church was based on the Word of God.
Keys to Revival
Matthew 13:24-30, 36-43 NKJV The Parable of the Wheat and the Tares
- “I’ll use it all, then in the end separate the wheat and the chaff.”
Proverbs 14:4 NKJV Where no oxen are, the trough is clean; but much increase comes by the strength of an ox.
“Rather than praying for revival, let us pray to the revival giver.” – Winkie Pratney
“When the Word and the Spirit come together, there will be the biggest movement of the Holy Spirit that the nation, and indeed the world, has ever seen.” – Smith Wigglesworth
“Bananas for Jesus!” – Keith Green
- There are things in ourselves that we need to be brutally honest about.
- Be fearless, hear the voice of the Holy Spirit, and let God use you.
1 Corinthians 6:9-10 NKJV Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.
- If you’re repentant, then God is faithful and just to forgive.
1 John 1:9 NKJV If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
Repentance is key to personal revival.
Ezekiel 33:1-11 NKJV The Watchman and His Message
Ephesians 6:11 NKJV Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.
“Historically most outpourings have come in the midst of some of the most thunderous and difficult of times. But it’s the Church awakened that can bring healing and hope in the darkest of times. Recognizing that we are not each other’s enemy. There is a common enemy that would try to keep us from taking the message of the Gospel.” – Doug Stringer
Matthew 10:7 NKJV And as you go, preach, saying, ‘The kingdom of heaven is at hand.’
- Go deeper in consecration, higher in expectation, and stay hungry for the Lord.
The Presence of God
2 Chronicles 5 NKJV …And it came to pass when the priests came out of the Most Holy Place (for all the priests who were present had sanctified themselves, without keeping to their divisions)…
- God’s presence changes us in ways only He can.
- We need to allow God to do a work in us, so He can do a work through us.
Hebrews 12:2 NKJV Looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.
- We need to look past the circumstances in which we live and focus on the destination that God has given us.
Hebrews 13:8 NKJV Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.
Psalm 51:10 NKJV Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
- God shows up when He can find a man or woman who will say, “Yes!”
- Bubba Chambers
- Last Days Ministries
- World Challenge
- Calvary Commission
- Agape Force
- Haystack Prayer Meetings
- The Welsh Revival
- Billy Graham
- The Latter Rain Movement
- Calvary Chapel
- Alisa Childers interview with Chuck Girard
- Keith Green as a young performer
- “Welcome Back” by LoveSong (with intro by Pastor Chuck Smith)
- “Hear the Angels Sing” by LoveSong
- The Brownsville Revival (Pensacola)
- The Toronto Blessing
- The Asbury Revival
- Alisa Childer’s interview on Asbury
- “God Used Lonnie Frisbee Powerfully Despite His Flaws” by Lee Grady
- Lonnie Frisbee Unscripted by John Ruttkay
- “Think About What Jesus Said” by LoveSong
- “Lonnie Frisbee – Beach Testimony”
- “Lonnie Frisbee 1993 Memorial Service”
- Check out LoveSongTheBand.com for updates on their documentary or to see the trailer.
- Also check out Chuck’s website for updates on his upcoming studio album
- “Revival Is Born Out of The Storms of Life” -Doug’s podcast that mentions the Bradford, MA prayer meetings and their legacy
- DougStringer.com for more articles on revival
- “An Unlikely Spark for Revival” by Doug Stringer, about the Baylor University prayer services
- Jeremiah Lanphier
- Rock & Roll Preacher by Chuck Girard
- Another Gospel by Alisa Childers
- Not By Might Nor By Power by Lonnie Frisbee
Connect with Us:
Share this message with a friend and subscribe for weekly encouragement and inspiration!
You can also receive weekly Provoke-a-Thought emails, monthly teaching emails, periodic ministry updates, or join our prayer team by signing up here!
Download a free 30-day devo at AWordInSeasonPodcast.org