“If You’re Colorblind, Get Some Glasses”, with Alveda King (Episode 182)
Our Guest: Alveda King
Alveda King is Chair of the Center for the American Dream, founder of Speak for Life, and daughter of the late Rev. A.D. King and niece of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. She is a FoxNews contributor; a former college professor, State Representative, and Presidential appointee; and a recipient of the Presidential Lifetime Achievement Award.
Scriptures and Key Points:
- When worship goes up, God’s glory comes down.
- One night A.D. King’s wife heard him talking to someone in his room when no one was there. She heard him say, “What should I do? What do you want me to do?” In concern, she called her father and told him the situation. He asked her to hold the phone up close to the door. After listening for a few minutes, he reassured his daughter that all was okay, “He’s got the Call!”
- “Martin Luther, stand up for truth and justice and lo, I will never leave you or forsake you.”
Hebrews 13:5 NKJV …For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”
- “Alveda, who is God? Alveda, who is Jesus?”
- For every question Alveda asked, the lady would show her the answer in the Bible.
Colossians 1:5-6 NKJV Because of the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, of which you heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel, which has come to you, as it has also in all the world, and is bringing forth fruit, as it is also among you since the day you heard and knew the grace of God in truth
Acts 17:27 NKJV So that they should seek the Lord, in the hope that they might grope for Him and find Him, though He is not far from each one of us
Romans 10:9 NKJV That if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
- I believed and my worldview shifted immediately.
- Jesus is my Lord; the Holy Spirit is my teacher; God is my Father.
- “They’re lying to you, NiNi. That’s not a lump of flesh. That’s my granddaughter! I saw her in a dream three years ago…She’s going to bless many people.”
Jeremiah 29:11 NIV For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
“The Negro cannot win if he is willing to sacrifice the futures of his children for immediate personal comfort and safety. Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.” – Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- A woman has a right to choose what she does with her body. The baby is not her body.
- “I’ve confessed publicly, first privately, my own abortions and sins. God has forgiven me. Jesus’ blood has cleansed me. The Holy Spirit is now with me.”
- We need to let young people know that there is a better way. We can’t just point fingers. We need to love them and be present for them.
- When we do that, we will see the hand of God moving in our lives.
Psalm 89:14 NKJV Righteousness and justice are the foundation of Your throne; Mercy and truth go before Your face.
- As Christians, we are called to speak the truth in love seasoned with grace, but we must speak the truth nonetheless.
Colossians 4:6 NKJV Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one.
Amos 7:8 NKJV And the Lord said to me, “Amos, what do you see?” And I said, “A plumb line.” Then the Lord said: “Behold, I am setting a plumb line in the midst of My people Israel; I will not pass by them anymore.
- We need to adjust our lives to God’s Word rather than trying to justify our actions by changing God’s Word.
Acts 17:26 NKJV And He has made from one blood every nation of men to dwell on all the face of the earth, and has determined their preappointed times and the boundaries of their dwellings
- “If you’re colorblind, get some glasses! God gives sight to the blind.” Alveda King
- We as Christians should no longer accept when people say America is no longer a Christian nation. It’s still Christian. There’s still enough of us who have not bowed our knees to Baal to represent the Kingdom of God in this nation.
- We need leaders who in a kind and loving way will speak the truth.
- It’s time for the prophets to come out of the caves and speak up.
- We don’t need to push back against culture; we need to stand up and speak the truth and teach the truth.
- We talk about the seven mountains of influence, but there’s an eighth mountain, the mountain of God.
- The mountain of God is over all the other mountains.
- Satan may have the title of “prince and power of the air”, but the airways belong to us as Christians so we must use them.
Jude 1:20 NKJV But you, beloved, building yourselves up on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Spirit
- We need to work together using those resources every day.
- God loves the beauty of His creation.
- We are a coat of many colors that the Father is presenting to His Son, Jesus.
- The Church is that coat of many colors as we cross our racial, denominational, and generational lines.
John 8:32 NKJV And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.
- The truth needs to be spoken in every generation, every decade, and every moment.
- We have to stop fighting with each other. Mercy overrides judgment.
- We have to learn to build bridges.
- We need to pray for all those in authority from politics to business.
1 Timothy 2:1-2 NKJV Therefore I exhort first of all that supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks be made for all men, for kings and all who are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and reverence.
- Take care of your own home town, then move into other communities.
- “I want to work for a great America so I can bless the world.”
- The Mountain of God is about our relationship with the Lord.
Matthew 5:16 NKJV Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.
- God’s unchangeable power in the Kingdom of God is higher.
- To get to the promise you have to go through the process.
- God sees the beginning and the end.
- We have to have faith that God is who He says He is and will do what He promises.
- We need to be consistent.
1 John 1:9 NKJV If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
- If you fall, get up and keep going.
- “We fall down but we get up” – lyrics from “We Fall Down But We Get Up” by Donnie McClurkin
- “That’s for toddlers and stuff. You don’t have to fall down a lot.” – Alveda’s pastor in response to the song lyrics
- We work and try. We read our Bibles. We let God speak to us through His Word. We demonstrate it with faith and works coming together.
- Obedience is important.
- When others fall, we need to remember how God has blessed and forgiven us and we can do that with others.
Galatians 6:1 NKJV Brethren, if a man is overtaken in any trespass, you who are spiritual restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness, considering yourself lest you also be tempted.
Daniel 11:32-35 NKJV …but the people who know their God shall be strong, and carry out great exploits…And some of those of understanding shall fall, to refine them, purify them, and make them white, until the time of the end; because it is still for the appointed time.
- “I want to see your fruit.” “Do you have a mirror with you?”
Matthew 7:16 NKJV You will know them by their fruits…
- We will know each other by our fruit, but we need to examine ourselves first.
Romans 2:1 NKJV Therefore you are inexcusable, O man, whoever you are who judge, for in whatever you judge another you condemn yourself; for you who judge practice the same things.
Joshua 24:15 NKJV …But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
- There are ways to communicate without being self-righteous.
“Self is the opaque veil that hides the face of God from us.” – A. W. Tozer
- We have to be intentional about reconciliation in the Church.
- Jesus is the Rock.
1 Corinthians 10:4 NKJV … And that Rock was Christ.
1 Corinthians 3:11 NKJV For no other foundation can anyone lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
- God’s Word is where we need to go for answers.
- We should live God’s Word as shining examples and be quick to repent and forgive.
- “We need to pray without ceasing.” – Billy Graham’s response to the question of what he attributed his success to
1 Thessalonians 5:17 NKJV Pray without ceasing.
Ephesians 4:32 NKJV And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God in Christ forgave you.
- Being kind is not the same as being “nice.”
- Tell the truth and shame the devil, but do it with love and kindness.
- We need the centrality of the Cross more than ever.
- If we’re going to see healing in the land, it has to start with us.
- Too often we’ve been worshiping the institution instead of the God of the institution.
- We should vote according to the Biblical view, not the world’s view.
- We need to serve one another.
- We who love the Lord must love humanity, regard human dignity, and see others as Christ sees them.
- Love each other, be kind and truthful, and be powerful because we serve a mighty God.
Micah 6:8 NKJV …Do justly, to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.
Psalm 23 NKJV …He leads me…
Psalm 103 NKJV Bless the Lord, O my soul; and all that is within me, bless His holy name!…
Psalm 19:1 NKJV The heavens declare the glory of God…
Romans 8:28 NKJV And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
- A Knock at Midnight by Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr
- We’re Not Colorblind by Alveda King and Ginger Howard
- In Search of A Father’s Blessing by Doug Stringer
- Leadership Awakening by Doug Stringer
Connect with Us:
Share this message with a friend and subscribe for weekly encouragement and inspiration!
You can also receive weekly Provoke-a-Thought emails, monthly teaching emails, periodic ministry updates, or join our prayer team by signing up here!
Download a free 30-day devo at AWordInSeasonPodcast.org