“A Son’s Longing, From Little League To The Big Leagues,” with Jaime Garcia and Chali Martinez (Episode 183)
Our Guest: Jaime Garcia and Chali Martinez
Jaime Garcia was a starting pitcher and member of the 2011 World Series championship St. Louis Cardinals. Throughout his career in Major League Baseball (MLB), he played for the St. Louis Cardinals, Atlanta Braves, Minnesota Twins, New York Yankees, Toronto Blue Jays, and Chicago Cubs.
Chali Martinez is passionate about spreading the transformational gospel of Jesus Christ. His unique speaking style blends passion, humor, and clarity and has made Pastor Chali a highly solicited international speaker. Having accepted the call to ministry at age 16, Chali now has over 25 years of experience in ministry having served as a singer, songwriter, evangelist, youth pastor, and now lead pastor of Vital Church in McAllen, Texas, which he and his wife founded in 2013 and is now one of the fastest growing churches in South Texas. Chali and Carla are the proud parents of two young boys, Dante and Luca.
Scriptures and Key Points:
There are 4 Primary Things that Attract the Presence of God:
- Honor God and Honor People
- “There’s a voice within you that needs to be heard.”
- We were naïve enough to believe God would honor our obedience and He did.
- After many challenges while growing up, Jaime spent a lot of time trying to be famous so he would be loved and earn approval, especially from his own family.
- His father took the joy out of the game because of his own shame.
- Now Jaime is in love with the Word and with Jesus and that’s what God is looking for in each of us.
- God is not looking for those who are perfectly equipped and grew up in the perfect environment. He’s looking for those willing to submit with a humble heart.
- “I can’t take credit for anything, all I did was show up and He got ahold of my heart.”
- God placed Jaime not just with Christians, but with men of integrity.
- Leaders who lead not out of talent, but out of integrity of heart, will create a desire in people to want what they have.
- We complicate things. All we need is to go to the throne of grace.
- No matter what we’ve been through, we can give our negative situations to the Lord to bring glory to Him and turn it into a benefit.
- Jaime found affirmation, approval, and acceptance in the Lord through God’s people, which in turn helped him minister to his father.
Matthew 5:16 NKJV Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.
Colossians 1:27 NKJV …Which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.
2 Corinthians 5:17 NKJV Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
- What parents do and say to a child will be carried into their adulthood and affect every area of their lives.
- Understanding what Jesus did on the cross will change your perspective.
- Jaime realized the real enemy was not his dad.
- We can love others who have hurt us with the love of God, who loved us when we didn’t deserve it.
- We can show honor even when it may not be deserved.
- We can look at the windows of people’s souls and realize that is not the end result.
- People often compensate on the outside for the hurts they feel inside.
- Everyone is longing for acceptance and approval.
- There’s a difference between raising your child in church and raising your child in Christ.
Matthew 3:16-17 NKJV …“This is My beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased.”
- God the Father approved of His Son before He performed.
- With people, your performance garners their approval. With Christ, His approval allows you to perform.
- Revealing God in His Word to people gives them a sense of relief as they realize they are not defined by their past.
- God never chose people for who they were, but for who they were going to become.
- We need to look beyond people’s facades and see their potential.
- There’s a difference between the presence of God and having people get a revelation versus being accepted based on performance.
- Hypocrite – the stage actor, the performer
- We need to accept who we are in Christ and let God develop in us what we’re called to be.
- Together we can be part of something bigger than ourselves.
- To get to a place of success, you will have to go through times of challenges.
“Champions are not those who never fail, but those who never quit.” – Dr. Edwin Louis Cole
- We need to press through even when it seems all odds are against us.
- The change came in Jaime’s life when someone came and spoke life over him.
John 4:1-42 NIV The Woman at the Well
- Discipline will help you master the craft of what God has called you to.
- Knowing your identity in Christ will help you accomplish more.
- You can’t have faith without courage.
- Sometimes the battle is just showing up.
Romans 12:2 NKJV And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
- “I am the beloved son of the Father. Christ did everything He did on the Cross with me in mind. And He is well pleased with me.”
- “I was being driven by love and by purpose with a clear vision of the person I wanted to become. When the hard times came, it was a piece of cake… He kept giving me the strength.”
- When we know that we are God’s beloved, we no longer need to strive for approval. We can begin to seek His purpose.
Matthew 6:33 NKJV But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.
- “That’s my boy! That’s my son! That’s my girl!”
Colossians 1:12 NKJV Giving thanks to the Father who has qualified us to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in the light.
- In Christ, we’re empowered and encouraged because of who He is.
- There is life beyond the moments of what we go through.
- “I’m a disciple who lives to make disciples.”
- Are we seeing lives transformed?
- Whenever Paul talked about Christ, he backed it up with action.
“The scale of success and value of our worth cannot be measured in how big we build or how much we may acquire in life, but it’s in the legacy we leave to others. Lasting success is to keep one’s focus and perspective in life and to keep a rightness of attitude and character.” – Leadership Awakening, Doug Stringer
- There’s a process to possess the promise that God has given us.
- We have to persevere.
- True success is in the Lord.
- God’s definition of success is integrity of heart.
- The reason the Church of God in America is suffering is that we’re lacking models of true Christianity.
1 Corinthians 11:1 NKJV Imitate me, just as I also imitate Christ.
- People can’t see Jesus, but they can see Jesus through us.
- “I’m not perfect, but I’m intentional. I will imitate Christ as much as I can.”
- Model Christ.
“God is not looking for clones of modern day Christianity, but imitators of Christ.” – Doug Stringer
- “Bring people into my life who understand how the Kingdom of God works.”
Matthew 20:16 NKJV So the last will be first, and the first last. For many are called, but few chosen.
- We’re in it to impact the Kingdom.
- “The main reason I’m where I’m at in my maturity is because of staying away from the comparisons, clutter, and noise of the world.”
- Live authentically.
- “The main thing I pay attention to is guarding my heart and mind.”
- The world doesn’t need more motivational speakers. It needs people who are connected to Christ, walking in freedom, walking in the Light, and letting the Light shine.
- God gives us stewardship of platforms to bring glory and honor to Him.
Philippians 3:7 NKJV But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ.
- “I only use it for the glory of God. Compared to being connected with Christ and walking in His purpose and freedom, it’s not even close!” – Jaime speaking about his accomplishments
- If the Blood of Christ is driving you, it’s going to position you for blessings that you never imagined.
2 Corinthians 12:9 NKJV And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
2 Corinthians 5:7 NKJV For we walk by faith, not by sight.
Philippians 4:7 NKJV And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Ephesians 5:2 NKJV And walk in love, as Christ also has loved us and given Himself for us, an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweet-smelling aroma.
Matthew 5:14 NKJV You are the light of the world. A city that is set on a hill cannot be hidden.
- Hands in the Dirt by Jaime Garcia
- Maximized Manhood by Dr. Edwin Louis Cole
- Communication, Sex, and Money by Dr. Edwin Louis Cole
- In Search of a Father’s Blessing by Doug Stringer
- Leadership Awakening by Doug Stringer
- Vital McAllen on Facebook, Youtube
- Chali Martinez on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter
- Jaime Garcia on Instagram
Connect with Us:
Share this message with a friend and subscribe for weekly encouragement and inspiration!
You can also receive weekly Provoke-a-Thought emails, monthly teaching emails, periodic ministry updates, or join our prayer team by signing up here!
Download a free 30-day devo at AWordInSeasonPodcast.org