Our Guest: Heidi Rettig
Heidi Rettig is a program manager of family-based mental health services at a mental health agency. And out of the sudden loss of her first husband, God gave her a mission. She co-founded Schools of Life, a ministry that helps children in Cambodia. Now married to David, they love their blended family of five adult children.
Key Thoughts and Scriptures:
Jame 1:5 NLT If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking.
John 3:16 NKJV For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
Proverbs 3:5-6 NKJV Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
- “I wasn’t sure what that meant, but I knew I wanted it.” – Heidi in response to being asked if she wanted to invite Jesus into her heart
- When she was young, her relationship with God was usually put on a shelf and she would only do it on her terms.
- “Lord, I cannot do it my way anymore. I surrender.”
- We are in the world, but not of it.
John 17:14 NKJV I have given them Your word; and the world has hated them because they are not of the world, just as I am not of the world.
- “I was forever changed.”
2 Corinthians 5:17 NKJV Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
No matter what her circumstances, Heidi learned to trust God.
Esther 4:14 NKJV For if you remain completely silent at this time, relief and deliverance will arise for the Jews from another place, but you and your father’s house will perish. Yet who knows whether you have come to the kingdom for such a time as this?
- Esther had to be brave and have courage.
- God will carry us and we will find new strength.
- Prayers were the most important thing that Heidi received after the death of her husband.
- There were times she could feel the prayers carrying her family through.
- The way your talent falls will determine how you can help others in a time of crisis.
- While Heidi was busy with the ministry that God had put on her heart, God did something else in her heart too.
- God will give you something that is special in its own way.
Hebrews 11:1 NKJV Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.
- “We are believing, no matter what we see.”
2 Timothy 2:23 NKJV But avoid foolish and ignorant disputes, knowing that they generate strife.
- Plant the seed where you can and pray that God would grant them repentance and that they will do His will.
Isaiah 41:10 NKJV Fear not, for I am with you; Be not dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you, Yes, I will help you, I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.
Heidi’s story reminds us to remember that God is in control.
- “I know what God can do because I experienced it.”
1 Timothy 6:12 NKJV Fight the good fight of faith, lay hold on eternal life, to which you were also called and have confessed the good confession in the presence of many witnesses.
Proverbs 22:6 NKJV Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.
Philippians 4:13 NKJV I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Hebrews 12:2 NLT We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne.
Romans 12:2 NKJV And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Psalm 91 NKJV He who dwells in the secret place of the Most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty…
A lot of our walk is trusting God even when we’re not seeing what we want to see.
- Mary Magdalene’s story is a story of hope that demonstrates what God can do.
Psalm 73:24 NLT You guide me with your counsel, leading me to a glorious destiny.
Deuteronomy 33:29 NLT How blessed you are, O Israel! Who else is like you, a people saved by the Lord? He is your protecting shield and your triumphant sword! Your enemies will cringe before you, and you will stomp on their backs!
James 1:5 NKJV If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.
Romans 8:28 NKJV And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.
Psalm 119:74-77 NLT May all who fear you find in me a cause for joy, for I have put my hope in your word. I know, O Lord, that your regulations are fair; you disciplined me because I needed it. Now let your unfailing love comfort me, just as you promised me, your servant. Surround me with your tender mercies so I may live, for your instructions are my delight.
- Books by Joni Eareckson Tada
- Bonhoeffer by Eric Metaxas
- Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers
- The Power of Praying for Your Adult Children by Stormie Omartian
Connect with Us:
Somebody Cares Prayer Line (855) 459-CARE (2273)
Want to help Widows and Orphans? Join our growing company of women meeting special needs of parentless children and nurturing their unique gifts so they can be ALL God has in mind for them! And help meet real needs of women who have given a lifetime of service to God! Support the Somebody Cares Widows and Orphan fund today!
Share this message with a friend and subscribe for weekly encouragement and inspiration!
You can also receive periodic ministry updates from Somebody Cares, and/or weekly Provoke-a-Thought emails, monthly teaching emails, or join our prayer team by signing up here!