Our Guest: Cassy Smith
Cassy Smith is a 3rd generation preacher’s kid, 4th generation ordained minister. She’s running alongside the younger as well as the seasoned generations simultaneously. Her heart’s desire is to equip those around her with the tools needed to become secure in their walk with Jesus and a great friend to the communities they live in. She is worship director at Freedom Church Magnolia, TX and Community Manager and Events Coordinator for The Unhindered Voice.
If you would like to get plugged into the worship network with Cassy, check out: Greater Houston Worship Community.
Key Thoughts and Scriptures
Psalm 89:1 NKJV I will sing of the mercies of the Lord forever; with my mouth will I make known Your faithfulness to all generations.
- A Girl Who Storms Castles
“A woman wants to be an irreplaceable role in a great adventure.” – John and Stasi Eldrige, Captivating
- God has used women as an intricate part of building the Church and the Kingdom of God.
“I wasn’t a damsel in a tower under lock and key. I had a job to do.”
Ephesians 6:17 NKJV And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.
Hebrews 4:12 NKJV For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the division of soul and spirit, and of joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
- Women use the sword of the Spirit all the time: in prayer, in teaching, in raising children.
2 Corinthians 10:4 NKJV For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal but mighty in God for pulling down strongholds
- We are all women who can storm castles.
- “I just remember being so consumed and overwhelmed by the love of God.”
- There was a setting that invited the presence of God to come in.
- When Cassy was a child, there were adults around to help cultivate, but it was a genuine encounter with God.
- We can set a table for God to come meet people.
Luke 2 NKJV The Story of Jesus’ Birth
God doesn’t deny us our desires, but fulfills them in ways that are better than we can imagine.
Ephesians 3:20 NIV Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us.
- “I gave you more than you even knew you wanted.”
“Our brains get to a place where we have a deeper and more complete understanding and that revelation of God becomes real again.” -Robert Morris, Gateway Church
- The experience Cassy had when she was younger created a tether to Jesus Christ.
1 Thessalonians 5:8 NIV But since we belong to the day, let us be sober, putting on faith and love as a breastplate, and the hope of salvation as a helmet.
- Our walk with the Lord matures in the same way a parent’s relationship with their child changes as the child grows.
- When we’re disappointed in life about something we thought was from God, it can drive us away from the Lord if we let it.
- Disappointment is an emotion.
Psalm 84:11 NIV For the Lord God is a sun and shield; the Lord bestows favor and honor; no good thing does he withhold from those whose walk is blameless.
- Emotions are not evil; they’re just indicators. They are God given.
- “Dis” means “not”; “appointment” means “a set or appointed time.”
Psalm 37:23 AMP The steps of a [good and righteous] man are directed and established by the Lord, and He delights in his way [and blesses his path].
- It’s people that have disappointed us.
“I’ve chosen to lean on and trust the sovereignty of God in those moments.”
- “If I give in to disappointment, I’ll miss out on what God has for me.”
- Disappointment will rob the years off of people. We have to choose not to allow that in our own lives.
- God knows us better than we know ourselves.
- If we trust Him and follow Him, we’ll find joy and fulfillment in ways we couldn’t have expected.
- “God gave me a voice and I have confidence in Him.”
- “What do you enjoy doing?”
- God used her singleness to develop Cassy into who she was created to be.
- What is the unique calling that God has written on your heart?
- Miss Betty, who didn’t think she was capable of being a leader, discovered her gift of hospitality was her calling and became a pivotal part of her church’s shift to being family and community minded.
- Miss Betty was more of a leader than she ever saw herself.
Titus 1:8 NIV Rather, he must be hospitable, one who loves what is good, who is self-controlled, upright, holy and disciplined.
Ministry can be just coming alongside people and having conversations.
- “If you let someone talk long enough, they’ll answer their own questions.”
- Being a good friend is asking the right questions and then really listening.
- “I’m a friend to the church, to my neighbor, to my family. All for the purpose that the Kingdom of God would advance.”
- “I want my home to be a welcoming and safe place. And that’s what I want my life to be.”
James 2:23 NKJV And the Scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was accounted to him for righteousness.” And he was called the friend of God.
- We can be friends of God and invite others through our friendship to be His friend.
- We can get hung up on having a dream fulfilled or being defined by a single role and that could cause us to miss other roles that God has for us.
James 1:27 NIV Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
Luke 15:11-32 NIV The Parable of the Lost Son
- As the Lord dealt with Cassy’s heart and she humbled herself in areas where she was causing pain, it allowed God to bring about a beautiful reconciliation.
- “I’m so grateful that my family never gave up.”
Look for the moments of joy.
Nehemiah 8:10 NIV …The joy of the Lord is your strength.
- One way to persevere is to reflect on what is going well.
- Crisis gives an opportunity to respond in a Christ-like manner.
- We tend to try to strategize when things are not working out the way we want when instead we need to trust that God is big enough to speak to someone and woo them.
Romans 2:4 NIV …God’s kindness is intended to lead you to repentance
- God wants us to love without expectations like He does.
- We can release the person to Christ and concentrate on our own behavior towards them.
- Anger that leads us to sin is not godly, but righteous anger, instead of pointing the finger at everyone else, looks inward and asks “What do I need to do?”
- Let God tend the garden of your heart.
- When you follow God and just say ‘yes’, you make yourself available for God to lead you in paths that you would never have found yourself.
- Obedience is really just walking with the Lord and staying close to Him.
- It’s a joy and delight to walk with God.
- If we look at obedience differently, it changes our perspective.
Psalm 119:68 NIV You are good, and what you do is good; teach me your decrees.
- Ways God can show His Goodness
- Your family
- Giving you a love for others
- God’s provision in the midst of struggles
- Giving you a home
- God repays those who take care of His business.
- Naomi’s life illustrates the power of God to bring something good out of bitter circumstances.
- The book of Ruth is about Naomi’s journey to redemption: from famine and tragedy to having a family.
- The barley harvest represents the overcomer.
Matthew 11:1-6 NIV …Blessed is anyone who does not stumble on account of me.
- In troubled times, we need to cling tighter to the anchor that is Jesus.
- God’s overall plan for your life doesn’t always feel good or look right, but hold tight to your faith.
Proverbs 17:17 NIV A friend loves at all times, and a brother is born for a time of adversity.
- As you empty yourself for the sake of God’s glory, God is able to work wonders.
3 John 1:2 NKJV Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health, just as your soul prospers.
Connect with Us:
Somebody Cares Prayer Line (855) 459-CARE (2273)
Want to help Widows and Orphans? Join our growing company of women meeting special needs of parentless children and nurturing their unique gifts so they can be ALL God has in mind for them! And help meet real needs of women who have given a lifetime of service to God! Support the Somebody Cares Widows and Orphan fund today!
Share this message with a friend and subscribe for weekly encouragement and inspiration!
You can also receive periodic ministry updates from Somebody Cares, and/or weekly Provoke-a-Thought emails, monthly teaching emails, or join our prayer team by signing up here!