Our Guest: Jan Tennyson
Thirty-six years ago Jan Tennyson founded and still serves as president of the Dare to Dream Children’s Foundation. Jan has had some amazing adventures that God has taken her on and has been involved in life-changing ministries that He’s opened up to her. She’s the recipient of the 2007 Governor’s Lone Star Achievement Award in the state of Texas, one of the 2014 Women of Achievement honored by the Miss Texas Pageant, and recently, a 2023 World Trumpet International Honor Award for recognition of her years of visionary guidance, exceptional leadership, and unconditional commitment and love for humanity, among many other awards. Jan has risen from a foster child to a successful ministry leader and author.
Key Thoughts and Scriptures:
Psalm 37:23 NLT The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives.
- God cared for and guided Jan long before she really even knew Him.
- “This nobody, throwaway kid ends up taking lessons there at the conservatory and then ends up playing the piano in Carnegie Hall. Only God could make that happen.”
- God gave Jan the gift of gratitude.
- “I found that I was very close to the church, but I really didn’t have a personal relationship with Christ.”
- “No, we want to make sure that you’re called for this.”
- God plants desires in us at a young age that He brings to fulfillment at just the right time.
- One of the pictures Jan saw said, “Children without dreams.”
- Jan spent her whole life in church at some point, but it was just in the belief that you must go to church or you’re going to go to hell.
2 Corinthians 6:14 NKJV Do not be unequally yoked together with unbelievers…
- Jan was very mad at God and told Him, “How could you, with my background, take this leader of my family?”
Jan felt she was in a nothing situation.
John 15:1-5 NIV …I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.
Jeremiah 29:11 NIV For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
- Jan spoke to at-risk youth to give them hope for a future. If it could happen for her, it could happen for them, because God didn’t love her any more than them.
- “Those of you who know for sure that you’re going to go to heaven, I want you to stand up right now.”
- Jan asked herself, “How could you be sure? You can be good, you can do all these things, you can try to please God or whatever, but you never know.”
- “Those of you who did not get up, I want to ask you another question. You may not know for sure that you’re going to heaven, but you really, really want to. Would you please stand up?”
- God is calling you and He wants to be in your heart.
Adopted by God
- You were adopted a long time ago by a Heavenly Father who’s never going to leave you, never going to forsake you. And He will be with you your whole life once you let him come in your heart.
Hebrews 13:5 NIV God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.
- “If you want me to go, you’re going to have to make a way.” And God will make a way when there seems to be no way.
The Widow of Zarephath
- Like the story of the widow, God intervened in Jan’s seemingly impossible situation and took care of her.
- God is quick to respond to those who call out to Him!
Zephaniah 3:17 NIV The Lord your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing.
John 1:12 NIV Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God
Hebrews 4:16 NKJV Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
Psalm 18:18-19 NIV …But the Lord was my support. He brought me out into a spacious place; he rescued me because he delighted in me.
- She Dares to Dream by Jan Tennyson
- Dare to Dream
- Bring Flowers of the Rarest: May Crowning Song
- Maryknoll Sisters
- The Daily News Building Globe
- The Staten Island Ferry
- Mount Loretto Orphanage
- Hotel Taft
- Kelly Girl
- Dr. Kildare
- Zig Ziglar
- Jerry Johnston
Connect with Us:
Somebody Cares Prayer Line (855) 459-CARE (2273)
Want to help Widows and Orphans? Join our growing company of women meeting special needs of parentless children and nurturing their unique gifts so they can be ALL God has in mind for them! And help meet real needs of women who have given a lifetime of service to God! Support the Somebody Cares Widows and Orphan fund today!
Share this message with a friend and subscribe for weekly encouragement and inspiration!
You can also receive periodic ministry updates from Somebody Cares, and/or weekly Provoke-a-Thought emails, monthly teaching emails, or join our prayer team by signing up here!