Our Guest: Lynn Beattie
Lynn Beattie was born and raised in New Jersey. She has served in many capacities of ministry from youth ministry to women’s ministry. She currently works with Women of the Word Ministries. Now widowed, Lynn was married to her husband for 41 years and has five adult children.
Key Thoughts and Scriptures
Psalm 23 NLT The Lord is my shepherd; I have all that I need…
- Lynn learned that when we have issues, we can go to God with them.
- God can deal with and heal the issues of your heart.
- God can teach us and bring us to a place of understanding.
- If we walk in God’s divine order, our lives are so much better.
- God can use our spouse as protection for us.
- Ministry is as simple as hearing about a need and coming alongside and meeting that need by being Jesus to them.
James 1:27 NIV Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
1 Corinthians 12:12 NIV Just as a body, though one, has many parts, but all its many parts form one body, so it is with Christ.
When we’re serving, we need to remember to be responsible for our own lives.
- Sometimes we try to meet our own needs through our serving.
- God will separate the holy from the profane.
- Our ministry should be about Him and not about us.
- We need to allow God the opportunity to heal us and redeem us.
- “Faith rose up and I was ready to fight” – Lynn
James 1:2-4 AMP Consider it nothing but joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you fall into various trials. Be assured that the testing of your faith [through experience] produces endurance [leading to spiritual maturity, and inner peace]. And let endurance have its perfect result and do a thorough work, so that you may be perfect and completely developed [in your faith], lacking in nothing.
God is our Healer.
- God gets the final word.
- Lynn declared, “Cancer was not going to dictate our life.”
- “We were in tears at times over the faithfulness of God.”
- As the hardship went on, the love of God surrounded and carried them through.
Isaiah 54:10 ESV For the mountains may depart and the hills be removed, but my steadfast love shall not depart from you, and my covenant of peace shall not be removed,” says the Lord, who has compassion on you.
Philippians 4:7 ESV And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
Lynn learned life is about choices.
- You can’t plan grief.
- Whether you make the choice to live in depression or to live in faith, either choice will change everything.
- God sees you and knows where you are.
- Everyone grieves differently.
- We see the pinhead of the present, but God sees the beginning to the end and He knows what is best.
- God is good and kind.
- “How could I be angry with God? He’s my lifeline.”
- Lynn now says, “I am a blessed woman”
2 Corinthians 1:3-4 ESV Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God.
God uses everything.
- What the enemy uses for our destruction, God uses for His glory.
Romans 8:28 NIV And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
- It gives our pain a purpose.
- “As long as I want God to do things my way, I have anxiety. But the moment that I submit to His will, then I have peace.”
- We tend to try to manipulate God with our prayers rather than seeking Him and what He wants to do.
- God is trustworthy.
Jeremiah 29:11 NIV For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.
- Trust God when the days are hardest.
- Walking with God is a relationship.
- God deals with us in process.
- Don’t look to blame others; take responsibility for your life.
2 Samuel 22:20 NKJV He also brought me out into a broad place; He delivered me because He delighted in me.
- Treasure your relationship with God and let God be God.
Judges 4-5 NIV Deborah’s Story
- Seek the Lord for wisdom.
- Deborah had the courage to do what God had called her to do.
Colossians 1:9-10 NLT So we have not stopped praying for you since we first heard about you. We ask God to give you complete knowledge of his will and to give you spiritual wisdom and understanding. Then the way you live will always honor and please the Lord, and your lives will produce every kind of good fruit. All the while, you will grow as you learn to know God better and better.
Links from Lynn’s story:
Connect with Us:
Somebody Cares Prayer Line (855) 459-CARE (2273)
Want to help Widows and Orphans? Join our growing company of women meeting special needs of parentless children and nurturing their unique gifts so they can be ALL God has in mind for them! And help meet real needs of women who have given a lifetime of service to God! Support the Somebody Cares Widows and Orphan fund today!
Share this message with a friend and subscribe for weekly encouragement and inspiration!
You can also receive periodic ministry updates from Somebody Cares, and/or weekly Provoke-a-Thought emails, monthly teaching emails, or join our prayer team by signing up here!