Our Guest: Ashley Stringer
Ashley Stringer knows the value of a smile. She has exhibited the qualities of 1 Timothy 4:12 in pretty remarkable ways since she was an early teenager. When she was just fifteen years old, she started an anti-bullying campaign, released an AP entitled Simple Smile, and started performing in school assemblies, youth groups, and to other crowds. She’s become a positive social media influencer on YouTube where she posts travel vlogs, song covers, original music, and overall creative content. She’s also called upon to help lead worship at churches, at conferences, and in other settings. Now 20, Ashley is also a recording artist and a graphic designer. Most of all, she loves Jesus and desires to follow Him.
Key Thoughts and Scriptures:
1 Timothy 4:12 NIV Don’t let anyone look down on you because you are young, but set an example for the believers in speech, in conduct, in love, in faith and in purity.
- Ashley didn’t have a father in her life when she was young, yet her mother taught her to look to God to meet her needs.
- Her mother would wake her up before school to spend time in intercession and it grew a love of prayer in her.
- God is your Abba, your healer, your provider, and your protector.
1 Thessalonians 5:18 NKJV In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.
Joel 2:28 NKJV And it shall come to pass afterward that I will pour out My Spirit on all flesh; Your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, Your old men shall dream dreams, Your young men shall see visions.
- “Ashley, I’ll always be with you and you’re never alone.”
Hebrews 13:5 NKJV …For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”
- You won’t forget those moments when God gets a hold of you.
- There’s value and power in praying in tongues.
- Let the Holy Spirit speak through you.
- God was working behind the scenes.
- Watch and see what the Lord will do when you surrender.
Matthew 18:2-4 NKJV Then Jesus called a little child to Him, set him in the midst of them, and said, “Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
- Come before God with a childlike faith.
- Ashley had to change her mindset about her identity.
Ways to Change Your Mindset:
- Daily constant surrender to the Lord
- Be in His Word
- Listen to positive music or podcasts that encourage
- When you put positive in, positive will come out.
- Ashley had to learn to surrender all her hurt, her shame, and her doubt to God and trust Him.
Matthew 5:38-40 NKJV You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I tell you not to resist an evil person. But whoever slaps you on your right cheek, turn the other to him also. If anyone wants to sue you and take away your tunic, let him have your cloak also.
- Be kind to those who hurt you and pray for them.
- There’s value in a simple smile.
- God has made each of us with a purpose.
- God changed Ashley’s mindset from her circumstances to how she could glorify Him.
- A smile can change a life.
- If you think something positive about someone, share it with them.
- God doesn’t open a door that He doesn’t prepare us for.
- Your story will impact people.
Tangible Ways for Parents to Help Their Kids through Tough Times:
- Direct them to and read the Word with them (Job NKJV)
- Pray with them
- Have positive music, podcasts, or even the Bible playing in the home
- Be a listening ear and acknowledge their feelings, a smile has power.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to lead you
- Be present and love them where they’re at
- Never stop praying for them and speaking the Word over them (Isaiah 55:11 NKJV)
- While Ashley prayed for godly friends, God taught her how to be a godly friend, which includes kindness.
- God can teach you and direct you to those righteous friendships.
- God’s timing is perfect.
- Sometimes things don’t happen the way we want because God is refining us.
- Trust the Lord and surrender that heart’s desire.
- The Lord doesn’t desire for us to do life alone. He wants us to have community.
- It’s important to have friends that love Jesus.
- God can use those challenging times to bring glory to Himself.
- Our souls long to worship and adore Jesus.
- “Ashley, it doesn’t have to be heavy.”
- Every burden can be released at the throne of God.
- We can daily release our burdens to Him.
- “The Lord is everything to me and more.”
- God is faithful, and smiles on us.
1 Samuel 1 NKJV Hannah’s story
- Samuel couldn’t be who he was without his mother, Hannah.
- Hannah displayed fervent prayer and faith.
- She reminded God of His promise to her and God was faithful.
- Hannah’s “yes” enabled Samuel’s “yes.”
Proverbs 3:5-6 NIV Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.
Jeremiah 29:11-13 NIV For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.
Psalm 121 NIV I lift up my eyes to the mountains—where does my help come from? My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth. He will not let your foot slip—he who watches over you will not slumber; indeed, he who watches over Israel will neither slumber nor sleep. The Lord watches over you— the Lord is your shade at your right hand; the sun will not harm you by day, nor the moon by night. The Lord will keep you from all harm—he will watch over your life; the Lord will watch over your coming and going both now and forevermore.
Connect with Us:
Somebody Cares Prayer Line (855) 459-CARE (2273)
Want to help Widows and Orphans? Join our growing company of women meeting special needs of parentless children and nurturing their unique gifts so they can be ALL God has in mind for them! And help meet real needs of women who have given a lifetime of service to God! Support the Somebody Cares Widows and Orphan fund today!
Share this message with a friend and subscribe for weekly encouragement and inspiration!
You can also receive periodic ministry updates from Somebody Cares, and/or weekly Provoke-a-Thought emails, monthly teaching emails, or join our prayer team by signing up here!