Our Guest: Belinda Thacker
Belinda Thacker has served in full-time ministry since 1993, including positions with Coral Ridge Ministries Media, Knox Theological Seminary, and Calvary Chapel Fort Lauderdale. She also served in urban and international outreach with Youth With A Mission in Tyler TX, the Philippines, and New Orleans. Belinda graduated with honors from the University of Kentucky with a B.A. in Journalism and currently serves as Communications Director for Somebody Cares America. Belinda moved back to Kentucky in 2009, and on Christmas Eve of that year she became a full-time single parent as she assumed the role of legal guardian for her niece’s three children.
Key Thoughts and Scriptures:
John 20:19-21 NLT That Sunday evening the disciples were meeting behind locked doors because they were afraid of the Jewish leaders. Suddenly, Jesus was standing there among them! “Peace be with you,” he said. As he spoke, he showed them the wounds in his hands and his side. They were filled with joy when they saw the Lord! Again he said, “Peace be with you. As the Father has sent me, so I am sending you.”
- Jesus spoke peace to them, filling them with joy, then He reaffirmed their purpose to be witnesses of the good news.
Hebrews 13:8 NLT Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.
- Jesus still speaks peace and purpose to us.
- God called, anointed, and sent Belinda on a short-term mission trip to Turkey.
- “Don’t say ‘yes’ or ‘no’ too quickly.”
- Belinda sought the Lord about her decision.
- Part of Belinda’s preparation for her trip was to be spiritually prepared as well as practically.
- Not only did God provide financially for her, He prepared her with a spiritual anointing as well.
- It’s so important to know that it’s God sending us, no matter where we go.
- We need clarity of vision.
- There was a lot of time for Belinda’s team to be a ministry of presence and let the people of Turkey know that God cares for them.
- “We’re bleeding on the inside, but we’re happy on the outside.”
Belinda’s Tips for Helping After a Disaster:
- Listen well.
- Let them know God loves them.
- Pray for them and with them.
- Let the Holy Spirit lead you.
- Just be there in word and deed.
- Being with someone in loss can provide great comfort to them even when you don’t have answers.
- Sow seeds when you’re given the opportunity.
- Let go of your expectations.
- Be obedient when God tells you to go.
1 Corinthians 3:6-8 NKJV I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the increase. So then neither he who plants is anything, nor he who waters, but God who gives the increase. Now he who plants and he who waters are one, and each one will receive his own reward according to his own labor.
- Don’t get discouraged.
- God has a purpose. Trust Him.
- While God used the Covid season to draw us closer to Him, now He’s calling us out to send us.
We need to make ourselves ready for God’s call.
- Be connected to a local body of Christ.
- Don’t neglect your relationships.
- Get trained.
- Cultivate your relationship with God.
- Seek God’s instructions.
- If Belinda hadn’t followed God’s leading, she wouldn’t have been on the trip that God had planned for her.
- Abigail saw a pending crisis and grabbed her resources.
- She took action and physically interceded to prevent a disaster from happening.
- We can gather our resources and stand in the gap for people who are hurting.
Matthew 10:16 NLT Look, I am sending you out as sheep among wolves. So be as shrewd as snakes and harmless as doves.
“God does not call the qualified; He qualifies the called.”
- God is always faithful to make a way where there seems to be no way when we, in faith, respond to His leading.
- Are you willing to say “Yes, Lord, I’ll go.”?
Belinda Shares The Significance of Turkey
- The apostle Paul was born in Tarsus. (Acts 22:3 NKJV)
- The seven churches in Revelation were all in Turkey. (Revelation 1:11 NKJV)
- The current city of Antakya was the biblical city of Antioch, the cradle of Christianity. It was known as a missions sending center.
- God can bring redemption out of tragedy.
- When God calls us, He equips us.
Hebrews 13:21 NLT May he equip you with all you need for doing his will. May he produce in you, through the power of Jesus Christ, every good thing that is pleasing to him. All glory to him forever and ever! Amen.
- In the School of Faith, Belinda Thacker’s Story (Ep. 20)
- Joshua Project: Turkey
- Crisis Response International training
Connect with Us:
Somebody Cares Prayer Line (855) 459-CARE (2273)
Want to help Widows and Orphans? Join our growing company of women meeting special needs of parentless children and nurturing their unique gifts so they can be ALL God has in mind for them! And help meet real needs of women who have given a lifetime of service to God! Support the Somebody Cares Widows and Orphan fund today!
Share this message with a friend and subscribe for weekly encouragement and inspiration!
You can also receive periodic ministry updates from Somebody Cares, and/or weekly Provoke-a-Thought emails, monthly teaching emails, or join our prayer team by signing up here!