Our Guest: Kathy Bernard
Kathy Bernard and her husband have been involved in pastoring churches, new church work, and street ministry. They also did mission work in Nigeria, West Africa to develop pastors that have continued the work establishing churches. In 1997, the Bernard’s came to Tampa Bay to start a non-profit called Somebody Cares Tampa Bay. As founders, they work with churches, businesses, and city officials to bring aid to those in need.
In 2013, Kathy’s son, Luke, was in a near fatal car accident. His recovery was miraculous which took them on a journey of writing a book and script from a dream Luke had after the accident. The Favorite is now a full feature movie and is presently being dubbed into Spanish and will be shown internationally. Kathy wrote a book based on her blog she wrote during the accident/recovery which was called, “The Journey Through the Valley.” Through her book, she helps others with hope and encouragement who are going through difficult times. She has assisted Daniel in writing several books and co-authored a book with him on marriage called, “Me Tarzan, You Jane.” The Bernard’s believe in strong marriages and do ongoing marriage seminars to help couples be successful in their marriages.
Key Thoughts and Scriptures
Jeremiah 29:11 NLT For I know the plans I have for you,” says the Lord. “They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope.
- You have a testimony even if you haven’t made bad mistakes.
- God can protect young people from the things that can devastate their lives.
- God has a way of changing us even when we have our plans all set out.
- “It didn’t turn out like we thought. God had other plans.”
- Sometimes ministry is messy, hurtful, and hard.
- We are continually in the transformation process.
- We can’t expect this life to be like heaven.
- Part of the process of being conformed to the image of Christ is learning to forgive and to be humble when we mess up.
- “Little by little, God was making changes in me.”
- “You’re not going to die, but you’re going to have to go through this.”
- Ministry is not always easy.
- God helps you in those difficult times.
- He gives you everything you need to do the assignment.
- “If they could suffer like they did, then I can suffer too.”
Luke 9:23 NLT Then he said to the crowd, “If any of you wants to be my follower, you must give up your own way, take up your cross daily, and follow me.”
One of God’s truths is that you may plant and not see a harvest for a while.
Galatians 6:9 NLT So let’s not get tired of doing what is good. At just the right time we will reap a harvest of blessing if we don’t give up.
1 Corinthians 1:9 NLT God will do this, for he is faithful to do what he says, and he has invited you into partnership with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
- “Ehud” means “deliverer”
- “I want you to unify the Body of Christ,” the Lord told Kathy and her husband.
- We’re going to empower, equip, and unify the Body of Christ to change lives.
Psalm 133 NKJV Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity! It is like the precious oil upon the head, running down on the beard, the beard of Aaron, running down on the edge of his garments. It is like the dew of Hermon, descending upon the mountains of Zion; for there the Lord commanded the blessing—Life forevermore.
- When the Church works together, God does amazing things.
- God heals spiritually as well as physically.
- “I knew God was there,” said Kathy
- “Don’t pray: ‘Whatever God wills”, pray specific prayers of ‘God, Heal him: wholly physically and spiritually.’”
- Kathy believed the report of the Lord.
- God showed us so many things along the way.
- Scriptures came alive.
- We will go through dark valleys, but God is with us.
Hebrews 13:5 NKJV …For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.”
We are all God’s favorite and He desires a relationship with us.
- We wanted good to come out of this terrible circumstance.
- I wanted to do ministry my way, but God wants to do ministry through us His way.
- God prepares us for His plans and purpose.
John 6:1-14 NLT Jesus Feeds Five Thousand
Matthew 1:18-2:23 NLT, Matthew 13:55 NLT Mary’s Story
Isaiah 55:8-9, 12-13 NLT “My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the Lord. “And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine. For just as the heavens are higher than the earth, so my ways are higher than your ways and my thoughts higher than your thoughts…You will live in joy and peace. The mountains and hills will burst into song, and the trees of the field will clap their hands! Where once there were thorns, cypress trees will grow. Where nettles grew, myrtles will sprout up. These events will bring great honor to the Lord’s name; they will be an everlasting sign of his power and love.”
Ecclesiastes 3:11 NLT Yet God has made everything beautiful for its own time. He has planted eternity in the human heart, but even so, people cannot see the whole scope of God’s work from beginning to end.
- We don’t need to be fearful, because God wants to give us His best.
Psalm 90:17 NIV May the favor of the Lord our God rest on us; establish the work of our hands for us—yes, establish the work of our hands.
- You can get a copy of any of Kathy’s books at http://www.sctb.org/ like:
- Journey Through the Valley
- Me Tarzan, You Jane
- Attitudes in Action: Developing Disciples Through the Beatitudes
Connect with Us:
Somebody Cares Prayer Line (855) 459-CARE (2273)
Want to help Widows and Orphans? Join our growing company of women meeting special needs of parentless children and nurturing their unique gifts so they can be ALL God has in mind for them! And help meet real needs of women who have given a lifetime of service to God! Support the Somebody Cares Widows and Orphan fund today!
Share Kathy Bernard’s story with a friend and subscribe for weekly encouragement and inspiration!
You can also receive periodic ministry updates from Somebody Cares, and/or weekly Provoke-a-Thought emails, monthly teaching emails, or join our prayer team by signing up here!