Our Guest: Mary Nelson
Mary Nelson knows Jesus! She is the mother of our host, Jodie Chiricosta, and introduced Jodie to Jesus and prayed with her though the various rough patches in her life. Mary has seen and experienced the power of God to transform her life, to protect her from harm, and to change situations. As an Air Force pilot’s wife, mother of four, grandmother of 18, and great-grandmother of 6, Mary has learned to pray diligently and see victory in spiritual warfare. She models Proverbs 31 with her genuine love for others, her gift of hospitality, and her devotion to the Lord.
Key Thoughts and Scriptures:
1 Corinthians 4:20 NIV For the kingdom of God is not a matter of talk but of power.
Proverbs 31 NIV The Wife of Noble Character
- “I believed that all I had to do was be a good person.”
- “Whatever he has, I need.”
- “I realized that if anger could be a spirit, fear could be a spirit.”
- “I didn’t feel anything happened, but I trusted that it had to leave in Jesus’ name.”
- Unforgiveness and gossip can become sludge in our spirits.
- After repentance, we sometimes will need to learn new patterns.
1 Corinthians 11:3, 8-9 NKJV But I want you to know that the head of every man is Christ, the head of woman is man, and the head of Christ is God…For man is not from woman, but woman from man. Nor was man created for the woman, but woman for the man.
- God values, anoints, and uses women.
- Mary’s family had a devotion time together.
- There is much wisdom to be learned from the Bible.
Joshua 24:15 NKJV …But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.
Things the family did to draw their children to Christ:
- Chose a family covenant verse
- Attended a Christian family camp together for several years
- Read testimony books together
- Sang scripture songs and played Bible games
- Attended weekly prayer meetings
- They wanted their children to have their own relationship with the Lord.
- Christ has power to defeat the works of satan.
- “We didn’t want anything to do with satan or anything demonic and we got rid of it.”
- “There was a change in the environment of our home after that.”
2 Chronicles 16:12-13 NKJV And in the thirty-ninth year of his reign, Asa became diseased in his feet, and his malady was severe; yet in his disease he did not seek the Lord, but the physicians. So Asa rested with his fathers; he died in the forty-first year of his reign.
- As wives, we need to respect and honor our husbands.
- God heals.
- When they encountered spiritual forces of wickedness, they prayed through their house, named them, and commanded them to leave in the name of Jesus.
- They also prayed scriptures over their home and property and dedicated it to the Lord and peace returned.
Deuteronomy 11:24 NKJV Every place on which the sole of your foot treads shall be yours…
Psalm 4:8 NIV In peace I will lie down and sleep, for you alone, Lord, make me dwell in safety.
Authority in Christ
Matthew 8:5-13 NKJV The Faith of the Centurion
- If we stay under authority, we have authority in prayer in the name of Jesus.
- The scripture is a teacher to us if we read the Word and put it into practice.
Psalm 68:20 NKJV Our God is the God of salvation; and to God the Lord belong escapes from death.
- Being part of regular bible studies is a key part of spiritual growth and can teach you how to apply biblical principles to your own life.
- When you call upon the Lord, He will answer.
- God is a faithful God.
- Thank the Lord for what He’s done for you.
Judges 13 NKJV The Story of Manoah’s Wife
- It’s important to pray together with your spouse.
- Also ask about revelations that have been received or questions so that you are both on the same page.
- You can then relate together to the Lord in a deeper way.
Romans 8:31-32, 37 NLT What shall we say about such wonderful things as these? If God is for us, who can ever be against us? Since he did not spare even his own Son but gave him up for us all, won’t he also give us everything else?… overwhelming victory is ours through Christ, who loved us.
God is For You!
- God is for you and will give you what you need.
Philippians 2:9 NLT Therefore, God elevated him to the place of highest honor and gave him the name above all other names.
1 Peter 5:7 NIV Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
1 John 5:15 NIV And if we know that he hears us—whatever we ask—we know that we have what we asked of him.
Lamentations 3:22-23 NKJV Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness.
Ephesians 1:17-21 NIV Asking God, the glorious Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, to give you spiritual wisdom and insight so that you might grow in your knowledge of God. I pray that your hearts will be flooded with light so that you can understand the confident hope he has given to those he called—his holy people who are his rich and glorious inheritance. I also pray that you will understand the incredible greatness of God’s power for us who believe him. This is the same mighty power that raised Christ from the dead and seated him in the place of honor at God’s right hand in the heavenly realms. Now he is far above any ruler or authority or power or leader or anything else—not only in this world but also in the world to come.
Books To Grow in Christ:
- Run, Baby, Run by Nicky Cruz
- The Cross and the Switchblade by David Wilkerson
- The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom
- Appointment in Jerusalem by Derek and Lydia Prince
- God is the Master Builder by The Donut Man
Connect with Us:
Somebody Cares Prayer Line (855) 459-CARE (2273)
Want to help Widows and Orphans? Join our growing company of women meeting special needs of parentless children and nurturing their unique gifts so they can be ALL God has in mind for them! And help meet real needs of women who have given a lifetime of service to God! Support the Somebody Cares Widows and Orphan fund today!
Share this message with a friend and subscribe for weekly encouragement and inspiration!
You can also receive periodic ministry updates from Somebody Cares, and/or weekly Provoke-a-Thought emails, monthly teaching emails, or join our prayer team by signing up here!