Our Guest: Vickie Guillory
Vickie Guillory is a sweet friend with a servant heart of compassion who has learned about the ministry of presence. Whether it’s reaching out to neighbors or opening her home to exchange students, ministering to a family with a health crisis, providing chaplaincy support for law enforcement deputies, or being a tangible expression of God’s love to those in prison, Vickie is always tuned in to how she can meet a need by her presence. And in serving, the Lord has met her with His presence.
Key Thoughts and Scriptures from Vickie’s Story:
Psalm 89:15 NIV Blessed are those who have learned to acclaim you, who walk in the light of your presence, Lord.
- While Vickie had a good biblical foundation, she focused on doing what was right versus having a relationship with the Lord.
- As God worked through her, she came to the realization that there had to be a shift in her thinking.
- No matter what background people come from they can be caring in the Body of Christ.
- When we get saved, we’re not immediately like Jesus.
- When you see a need, meet that need and pray that a seed was planted in the heart.
- God orchestrated the whole story of the adoption of their son because Vickie and her husband opened their hearts to be the presence of Jesus wherever God called them.
- God used friends and family to help carry them through their family crisis.
Isaiah 58:7-9 NKJV Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, and that you bring to your house the poor who are cast out; When you see the naked, that you cover him, and not hide yourself from your own flesh? Then your light shall break forth like the morning, your healing shall spring forth speedily, and your righteousness shall go before you; The glory of the Lord shall be your rear guard. Then you shall call, and the Lord will answer; you shall cry, and He will say, ‘Here I am.’…
Vickie learned that we need to treasure the moments with those we love.
- God can use crisis to help us put things into perspective and learn to give grace to people.
- Take advantage of the time you’re given because you don’t know how much time you have.
- “I want my faith to be solid whether it’s good times or not so good times.”
Proverbs 3:5-6 NKJV Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
- When you’re going through a hard time, you want your path directed by the Lord.
- “I always thought the path of righteousness was when good stuff was happening. And then He taught me the path of righteousness is not always going to be where things are going well.”
- He doesn’t waste the heartache. He carries us through.
- After He has healed us, He shows us others who need to be shown the way.
2 Corinthians 1:3-5 NIV Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. For just as we share abundantly in the sufferings of Christ, so also our comfort abounds through Christ.
- We need to pray that we recognize the opportunities that God places in our paths.
- Walking the Christian life is not for the faint-hearted.
- God gives us the strength we need.
- “They need to hear this!”
- Chaplaincy is spiritual support for people in whatever capacity they need.
Sometimes just having someone present during a time of crisis makes all the difference.
- Vickie learned you may not have the answers, but you can let them know they are not alone.
- Even in prison, people have hearts that want better for themselves than where they are.
- Take in hope.
1 Corinthians 3:4-9 NIV …So neither the one who plants nor the one who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. The one who plants and the one who waters have one purpose, and they will each be rewarded according to their own labor.
- Sometimes when you’re serving, you don’t see the results.
- “I made up my mind then to change my life and turn it around.”
- Never give up!
- Share the lessons that God has taught you.
- God has a plan for you for His Kingdom purposes.
- God is there when you call and may answer in so many ways.
John 4:1-42 NIV The Samaritan Woman “…Come and see!…”
- In those times when you feel dry, you can be still before God and be refreshed.
- It’s a relationship.
Psalm 125:2 NIV As the mountains surround Jerusalem, so the Lord surrounds his people both now and forevermore.
- Not only is God with Vickie, He is with us. He surrounds those who are His.
Romans 10:9-11 NIV If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved. For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you profess your faith and are saved. As Scripture says, “Anyone who believes in him will never be put to shame.”
- God rescues us from darkness and despair and transfers us into His Kingdom.
- He is the God of Hope.
1 Thessalonians 3:13 NIV May he strengthen your hearts so that you will be blameless and holy in the presence of our God and Father when our Lord Jesus comes with all his holy ones.
- Breaking Free by Beth Moore
- In Search of a Father’s Blessing by Doug Stringer (update of Who’s Your Daddy Now)
Connect with Us:
Somebody Cares Prayer Line (855) 459-CARE (2273)
Want to help Widows and Orphans? Join our growing company of women meeting special needs of parentless children and nurturing their unique gifts so they can be ALL God has in mind for them! And help meet real needs of women who have given a lifetime of service to God! Support the Somebody Cares Widows and Orphan fund today!
Share this message with a friend and subscribe for weekly encouragement and inspiration!
You can also receive periodic ministry updates from Somebody Cares, and/or weekly Provoke-a-Thought emails, monthly teaching emails, or join our prayer team by signing up here!