Our Guest: Jan Tennyson
Thirty-six years ago Jan Tennyson founded and still serves as president of the Dare to Dream Children’s Foundation. Jan has had some amazing adventures that God has taken her on and has been involved in life-changing ministries that He’s opened up to her. She’s the recipient of the 2007 Governor’s Lone Star Achievement Award in the state of Texas, one of the 2014 Women of Achievement honored by the Miss Texas Pageant, and recently, a 2023 World Trumpet International Honor Award for recognition of her years of visionary guidance, exceptional leadership, and unconditional commitment and love for humanity, among many other awards. Jan has risen from a foster child to a successful ministry leader and author.
Key Thoughts and Scriptures:
Psalm 37:23 NLT The Lord directs the steps of the godly. He delights in every detail of their lives.
- The Lord started opening new doors for Jan to share His love with children who were experiencing some of the things she did at that same age.
2 Corinthians 1:4 NIV Who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God.
- “To him it was a coincidence. To me, it was a divine appointment.” – when Jan met the captain of the Sea Dream
Matthew 19:26 NIV Jesus looked at them and said, “With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.”
- And to put that all together, that had to be God. He just tapped Jan on the shoulder and used her to be able to make the strategy and connections that it took to do it.
- Jan wanted to have all the gifts of the Spirit.
- It only takes a spark to get a fire going. And soon all those around will warm up to its glowing. And that’s how it is with God’s love. Once you experience it. It’s fresh like spring. You want to sing and you want to pass it on.
God has shown Jan that He will equip us when we need it.
Hebrews 13:21 NLT May he equip you with all you need for doing his will. May he produce in you, through the power of Jesus Christ, every good thing that is pleasing to him. All glory to him forever and ever! Amen.
- You’ve been touched by God and now you can go out and touch other people.
Luke 9:62 NIV Jesus replied, “No one who puts a hand to the plow and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.”
- Ask God to give you the next revelation of what He wants.
Hebrews 13:5 NIV God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.
Isaiah 55:8-9 NIV “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.
- God wants to show you the power of your story.
- The enemy will step in to do anything to take you out, especially when you’re doing God’s work.
- Jan would say, “How can I pray for you?” to the medical staff that came to her hospital bed.
Nehemiah 8:10 NIV …For the joy of the Lord is your strength.
God will hold your hand if you let Him.
- Sometimes God takes us to places we don’t really want to be. But God may need an agent of His grace in the midst of that place.
- You can do it. God doesn’t love Jan any more than He loves you.
Proverbs 3:5-6 NIV Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways submit to him, and he will make your paths straight.
- God’s going to take you where He wants to take you, if you’ll let Him.
Esther NIV Esther’s story
- Esther had courage and holy boldness.
- She had a strategy in what she wanted to accomplish, which eventually saved her nation.
- God turned Esther’s situation around completely.
Psalm 37:4-6 NIV Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him and he will do this: He will make your righteous reward shine like the dawn, your vindication like the noonday sun.
Matthew 7:7 NIV Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.
Matthew 25:21 NIV His master replied, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!’
- She Dares to Dream by Jan Tennyson
- Maryknoll Sisters
- Covenant House Fort Lauderdale
- Meyerson Symphony Center
- Christ for the Nations
- W.T. Greer
Connect with Us:
Somebody Cares Prayer Line (855) 459-CARE (2273)
Want to help Widows and Orphans? Join our growing company of women meeting special needs of parentless children and nurturing their unique gifts so they can be ALL God has in mind for them! And help meet real needs of women who have given a lifetime of service to God! Support the Somebody Cares Widows and Orphan fund today!
Share this message with a friend and subscribe for weekly encouragement and inspiration!
You can also receive periodic ministry updates from Somebody Cares, and/or weekly Provoke-a-Thought emails, monthly teaching emails, or join our prayer team by signing up here!