Our Guest: Joke Yakubu
Joke Yakubu was born in the Netherlands. She and her husband, Abukari, work among the Dagobmba people in the north of Ghana. In this area less than 5% of the people are Christians and only 20% of the people can read and write. Joke works for a literacy project that is currently mainly concerned with promoting reading in the mother tongue in government schools. Abukari is a pastor for the Good News Bible Church. They have two children, Samuel and Micah.
Key Thoughts and Scriptures:
Acts 17:24-28 NIV The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by human hands. And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything. Rather, he himself gives everyone life and breath and everything else. From one man he made all the nations, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and he marked out their appointed times in history and the boundaries of their lands. God did this so that they would seek him and perhaps reach out for him and find him, though he is not far from any one of us. ‘For in him we live and move and have our being.’ As some of your own poets have said, ‘We are his offspring.’
- Even as a child, Joke knew that Jesus was her friend.
- She found comfort in Christ and saw her parents hold on to the strength of Christ being present in their lives.
- “Joke, it’s not about you going to church. It’s about you allowing me to take your life and every aspect of it.”
- God wants to be part of our life and give us joy and the motivation to put Him first in our lives.
- Even in the midst of diversity we can be united in our love for Christ.
- God kindled a desire for Joke to learn more about God’s Word.
“Your first source is the Word of God, let God speak to you, then go to other sources.”
- God’s Word is rich; you can find something new in it again and again.
- When we read the full Word of God, we can begin to understand what is happening around us in light of God’s Word. As a result, it changes our perspective.
- The Word of God has so much to say to us.
Romans 10:14-17 NIV How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? …how can they hear without someone preaching to them? And how can anyone preach unless they are sent? As it is written: “How beautiful are the feet of those who bring good news!”…Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word about Christ.
Psalm 37:23 AMP The steps of a [good and righteous] man are directed and established by the Lord, and He delights in his way [and blesses his path].
Joke learned to depend on God for everything.
- As you follow God, He will fulfill the desires of your heart for He’s the one who placed them in your heart.
- Through Christ we have access to God.
- Joke realized that God had saved her for a purpose.
1 Corinthians 3:6-8 NIV I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God has been making it grow…
- “I’ve been reading this book and everyone should read it!”
- God provided for Joke’s family even in the things that may have looked small to others, but were big for them.
The Story of Ruth
Ruth NIV …But Ruth replied, “Don’t urge me to leave you or to turn back from you. Where you go I will go, and where you stay I will stay. Your people will be my people and your God my God.
- Naomi had nothing to offer Ruth.
- Ruth was willing to commit herself fully to God.
- As Christians, we all make sacrifices.
- God extended His grace to Ruth and blessed her.
- When we fulfill God’s calling for us, He will extend His grace to us.
John 15:1-5 NIV I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener…Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me. “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.
- When we remain in Him, we see His fruit in our lives.
1 Chronicles 22:11-13 NLT Now, my son, may the Lord be with you and give you success as you follow his directions in building the Temple of the Lord your God. And may the Lord give you wisdom and understanding, that you may obey the Law of the Lord your God as you rule over Israel. For you will be successful if you carefully obey the decrees and regulations that the Lord gave to Israel through Moses. Be strong and courageous; do not be afraid or lose heart!
Connect with Us:
Somebody Cares Prayer Line (855) 459-CARE (2273)
Want to help Widows and Orphans? Join our growing company of women meeting special needs of parentless children and nurturing their unique gifts so they can be ALL God has in mind for them! And help meet real needs of women who have given a lifetime of service to God! Support the Somebody Cares Widows and Orphan fund today!
Share this message with a friend and subscribe for weekly encouragement and inspiration!
You can also receive periodic ministry updates from Somebody Cares, and/or weekly Provoke-a-Thought emails, monthly teaching emails, or join our prayer team by signing up here!