Our Guest: Kay Horner
Kay has served in a variety of ministry roles including executive director of New Hope Pregnancy Care Center, associate and interim pastor of Peerless Road Church, administrator for Voice of Salvation Ministries, and Christian education minister providing insight segments for the World Impact television program. She was blessed to be the ministry projects coordinator for the Center for Spiritual Renewal, the spearhead organization for the 2006 Azusa Street Centennial. Most recently, Kay was honored to serve a two-year term as the first executive director for the Pentecostal Charismatic Churches of North America, but she passed that baton so that she could focus more on her passion for a true Christ awakening and revival in America.
She continues as Executive Director of the Awakening America Alliance, a ministry she helped to found in 2007, and has served in various leadership roles since 2012. The Helper Connection was formed as an initiative of the Alliance in 2016, and both ministries are engaged in training, resourcing, and encouraging men and women in ministry leadership throughout the kingdom of God. Kay has authored The Christmas Dance and Today’s Church and is a contributing author in Praying with Jesus, Cry Out to the Lord, 31 Days of Prayer for My Nation, Cherished Moments, and More Cherished Moments. Her articles have been published in Spirit-Led Woman, Charisma News Daily, Prayer Connect Magazine, White Wing Messenger, and several national ministry blogs.
She is engaged with the National Prayer Committee, Jesus Covenant Prayer Partners, Empowered 21 Global Prayer Alliance, and other national prayer ministries. Kay is the founder and chairperson of the Women in Ministry Commission with the Pentecostal Charismatic Churches of North America. Kay is married to Perry Horner, a retired graphic designer for their denomination’s international offices.
Key Thoughts and Scriptures from Kay’s story
- Kay asks the question, “If we were seeking God for a Christ Awakening in America, what would it look like?”
- God has been working in bringing churches together for His purposes.
- There were four components of earlier great Awakenings:
- United, prevailing prayer
- Pastor renewal
- Courageous preaching
- Revitalized churches that were helping to transform their communities
- Sometimes our programmed Church services limit the opportunities, especially for children, for spontaneous moves of the Spirit.
- When you experience the power of God at a young age, you never question it again.
- God wants His power flowing through all of His people because we are the Body of Christ.
- “God, deliver us from barren altars. And bring back the signs and miracles that cause people to be hungry for Jesus.”
- Kay had youth leaders who not only taught the youth, but relationally connected with them outside of church. They loved them into active engagement in ministry.
- “I wanted to know Jesus for myself.”
There were incidents in Kay’s life where she chose to forgive.
- “Satan wanted to name me “Dirty, Damaged, Unusable”, but Christ had a purpose and a destiny for my life that was mightier than the enemy’s plan for my destruction. He called me “Chosen, Anointed, A Called Daughter of the Most High God.””
- Her name and character were changed by the power of the Holy Spirit.
- How we live as teens can be projected onto our children even though they are nothing as we perceive or fear they will become.
- They need to know they are priceless treasures to be treated with respect.
Proverbs 9:10 NIV The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom, and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
Psalm 111:10 NIV The fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom; all who follow his precepts have good understanding. To him belongs eternal praise.
- “Kay, what do you really want your children to learn?”
If we live with a reverence for God and acknowledge His sovereignty in our lives, He can manage any challenge we ever face.
- We need to sow the fear of the Lord and knowledge of the Holy One into our children’s lives, it is key in establishing them in truth.
2 Peter 1:12 NIV So I will always remind you of these things, even though you know them and are firmly established in the truth you now have.
- None of us are exempt from struggles.
- God cares deeply about children.
- Kay never applied for any ministry position. She simply served and was obedient to God’s call.
- “I just wanted to serve wherever He put me.”
- If we allow God to direct our steps and put our trust fully in His plan for our lives, He will open the doors to the opportunities of where He wants us.
1 Samuel 2:6-7 NIV “The Lord brings death and makes alive; he brings down to the grave and raises up. The Lord sends poverty and wealth; he humbles and he exalts.
We all deal with stain-glass ceilings and sticky floors.
- Consistently spending time with the Lord and hearing what He’s saying to you makes you qualified for what He calls you to do.
- God likes to use the unlikely, so He gets the glory.
- We have to be careful to be doing the God things and not just the good things.
- All of us need to be sensitive to the journey that God has us on so that we don’t miss the harvest.
John 4:1-42 NIV The Samaritan Woman
- People will encounter Jesus in a way they never know they could and see a Church that lives and loves like Jesus.
Matthew 12:43-45 NIV …And the final condition of that person is worse than the first…
- “God’s hand was on my life or the enemy would not be opposing me so dramatically.”
- God wants to bring unity in the body of Christ.
- We can truly find joy and honor in being counted worthy to suffer for Christ.
1 Peter 3:13-15 NIV …But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed…
1 Peter 4:12-13 NIV …But rejoice inasmuch as you participate in the sufferings of Christ, so that you may be overjoyed when his glory is revealed.
Revelation 12:11 NIV They triumphed over him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony; they did not love their lives so much as to shrink from death.
Kay’s Biblical Truths to Embrace:
- Give God the firstfruits of every day.
- Perichoresis – a term referring to the relationship of the three persons of the triune God to one another.
- Enjoy every step of the journey.
- “Take the stairs. Some people are what I call elevator leaders. They want a quick and easy ride to the top. Skipping everything in between. But the strength to lead well when you get to the top and the stamina to stay there is built by taking the stairs. By putting one foot in front of the other. Dealing with incremental levels of leadership.” – Jodi Detrick in “The Jesus-Hearted Woman”
- Do it with authenticity.
- You have nothing to prove or lose by being who God created you to be.
- We are not worthy, but God equips us.
Mary and Martha’s Story
- Anointed worship and sharing with others
- A leader who serves leaders
- There is a balancing act between the two
- We need both in the Kingdom of God
Psalm 119:105-106 NIV Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path. I have taken an oath and confirmed it, that I will follow your righteous laws.
Proverbs 12:28 NIV In the way of righteousness there is life; along that path is immortality.
Psalm 1:6 NRSVA For the Lord watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish.
Psalm 5:12 NIV Surely, Lord, you bless the righteous; you surround them with your favor as with a shield.
- The Word of God has direction, hope, encouragement, and so much more.
- God can topple the strongholds of our experiences.
Romans 3:4 NKJV …let God be true but every man a liar…
1 Kings 8:60-61 NIV So that all the peoples of the earth may know that the Lord is God and that there is no other. And may your hearts be fully committed to the Lord our God, to live by his decrees and obey his commands, as at this time.”
Deuteronomy 4:1 NLT …so that you may live, so you may enter and occupy the land that the Lord, the God of your ancestors, is giving you.
- For information on the October prayer event information, connect with the Awakening America Alliance here.
- He Gets Us
- The Christmas Dance by Kay Horner
- For other Kay Horner books, please check out this link.
- The Pilgrim’s Progress by John Bunyan
- The Jesus-Hearted Woman by Jodi Detrick
Connect with Us:
Somebody Cares Prayer Line (855) 459-CARE (2273)
Want to help Widows and Orphans? Join our growing company of women meeting special needs of parentless children and nurturing their unique gifts so they can be ALL God has in mind for them! And help meet real needs of women who have given a lifetime of service to God! Support the Somebody Cares Widows and Orphan fund today!
Share this message with a friend and subscribe for weekly encouragement and inspiration!
You can also receive periodic ministry updates from Somebody Cares, and/or weekly Provoke-a-Thought emails, monthly teaching emails, or join our prayer team by signing up here!
Also, check out our Her God Story Podcast Club!