Our Guest: Belinda Thacker
Belinda Thacker has served in full-time ministry since 1993, including positions with Coral Ridge Ministries Media, Knox Theological Seminary, and Calvary Chapel Fort Lauderdale. She also served in urban and international outreach with Youth With A Mission in Tyler TX, the Philippines, and New Orleans. Belinda graduated with honors from the University of Kentucky with a B.A. in Journalism and currently serves as Communications Director for Somebody Cares America. Belinda moved back to Kentucky in 2009, and on Christmas Eve of that year she became a full-time single parent as she assumed the role of legal guardian for her niece’s three children.
Key Thoughts and Scriptures
Hebrews 11:1-3 NIV Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. This is what the ancients were commended for…
- God reveals Himself to us when we seek Him.
- God’s parameters benefit us.
- Belinda lost her job at a time in her life when she felt her career was the only thing she could pour into and get a return.
- “God, I need your help.”
- Belinda’s crisis turned her back to God.
- When God becomes our all-in-all, it changes everything.
- God began to gently convict Belinda.
- She was excited to see God’s Word come to life as she began to read her bible daily.
- When we abandon ourselves to God, He floods in.
- “It didn’t make sense, but I had peace.”
- “First, Joseph had to go to God’s school.”
- Through God’s school of faith, He was planting deep seeds of trust in Belinda.
- God sees us in our specific needs.
Matthew 10:29-31 NIV Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground outside your Father’s care. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don’t be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.
Luke 12:27 NIV Consider how the wild flowers grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these.
- Even when God is testing your faith, He is faithful.
He didn’t just lead Belinda to something; He was with her along the path.
2 Kings 4:1-7 NIV The Widow’s Oil
- We can’t give out what we don’t have.
- We need to know the Father heart of God.
- Sometimes life can be uncomfortable and painful as God brings things to the surface that need to be healed.
- What mattered most to Belinda was serving somewhere where lives were being changed for the Kingdom.
Isaiah 55:8-9 NIV “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” declares the Lord. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts.”
- When we follow God, even when we don’t think it makes sense, He brings it all around for our good.
Romans 8:28 NIV And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.
- “When I made the decision, I wasn’t thinking of it as a sacrifice. It was just the right thing to do.” -Belinda
- Each kid has a different way of dealing with trauma.
Belinda had to get God’s heart for each of her children.
James 1:27 NIV Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.
- Kids have an amazing way of reflecting to you what your own shortcomings are.
- God uses those revelations of shortcomings to show His unconditional love to us, His children, and what areas we need to grow in.
- “Lord, help me show them my faith and adequately reflect You as the God who I know You are.” – Belinda
- “God has given you authority over these children.”
Proverbs 3:5-6 NKJV Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; In all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.
- Trust in God. He’s our Good Shepherd and it’s His job to get us from points A to B. Our job is to follow.
- How do you know it’s God and not your own thoughts?:
- You have to cultivate knowing His voice (John 10:27 NIV)
- If you have a deep abiding peace
- God is faithful to confirm it. (It’s ok to ask Him!)
- Belinda has learned that God is faithful; You can trust Him.
Psalm 27:13 NIV I remain confident of this: I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
- Even in the disappointments and failures, God’s goodness never changes.
Proverbs 25:2 NIV It is the glory of God to conceal a matter; to search out a matter is the glory of kings.
- Sometimes God’s goodness is in plain sight; other times we have to look for it.
- When something comes to Abigail’s attention that will harm her family, she doesn’t hesitate to go and stand in the gap.
James 2:14-17, 20-26 NIV What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them?…
Psalm 37:4 NIV Take delight in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart.
2 Thessalonians 1:11 NLT So we keep on praying for you, asking our God to enable you to live a life worthy of his call. May he give you the power to accomplish all the good things your faith prompts you to do.
- It’s Time to Cross the Jordan by Doug Stringer
- Brother Andrew’s book God’s Smuggler really impacted me incredibly when I was in those seasons of taking steps of faith.
Connect with Us:
Somebody Cares Prayer Line (855) 459-CARE (2273)
Want to help Widows and Orphans? Join our growing company of women meeting special needs of parentless children and nurturing their unique gifts so they can be ALL God has in mind for them! And help meet real needs of women who have given a lifetime of service to God! Support the Somebody Cares Widows and Orphan fund today!
Share this message with a friend and subscribe for weekly encouragement and inspiration!
You can also receive periodic ministry updates from Somebody Cares, and/or weekly Provoke-a-Thought emails, monthly teaching emails, or join our prayer team by signing up here!