Our Guest: Emily Zavala
Emily Zavala has walked with the Lord for over 50 years. Over the decades, the Lord has taught Emily many things and turned her into a powerful prayer warrior. This wife, mother, grandmother, and servant in ministry has had a global impact from her prayer closet on her knees. She’s full of wisdom and is a delight to know.
Key Thoughts and Scriptures from Emily’s Story:
2 Corinthians 5:17 NKJV Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away; behold, all things have become new.
Psalm 126:1 NIV When the Lord restored the fortunes of Zion, we were like those who dreamed.
- The presence of the Lord drew Emily and her family to church.
- The power and fire of God impacted generations.
- When you encounter the power and presence of God, it gives you a spiritual hunger that doesn’t compromise.
Keys to spiritual growth:
- Go to the house of the Lord
- Be hungry for God
- God was creating them to be who He wanted them to be.
Romans 8:26-27 NIV In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.
Ezekiel 22:30 NIV I looked for someone among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found no one.
Keys to Instilling Faith in Your Children:
- Let love for Jesus be evident
- Pray and letting them see God answer
- Have conversations about the Lord
- Be involved in the house of God
- Make sure Jesus is the center of your lives
Proverbs 22:6 NKJV Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.
- There is prayer, then intercession, and then there’s spiritual warfare.
Matthew 13:24-30 NIV Jesus told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away. When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared. “The owner’s servants came to him and said, ‘Sir, didn’t you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?’ “‘An enemy did this,’ he replied…
- Recognize the generational curses in your life and in prayer close those doors.
Galatians 3:13 NIV Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written: “Cursed is everyone who is hung on a pole.”
- When we put those things under the blood of Jesus, we can be sure those things are broken.
Song of Songs 2:15 NIV Catch for us the foxes, the little foxes that ruin the vineyards, our vineyards that are in bloom.
- Repenting of even the small sins in our lives can make a difference.
- We need to be careful of the expectations that we place on our children.
Jeremiah 1:5 NIV Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations.
Write the Vision
- If God has given you a word, pray and prophesy into it.
- You can stand on the word God has given you.
- Write it down.
Habakkuk 2:2 NKJV Then the Lord answered me and said: “Write the vision and make it plain on tablets, that he may run who reads it.”
- There’s power behind God’s vision for your life.
Isaiah 59:21 NKJV “As for Me,” says the Lord, “this is My covenant with them: My Spirit who is upon you, and My words which I have put in your mouth, shall not depart from your mouth, nor from the mouth of your descendants, nor from the mouth of your descendants’ descendants,” says the Lord, “from this time and forevermore.”
John 6:63 NKJV …The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life.
- The Lord carried Emily and her family through her husband’s battle with cancer.
- “Emily, I’m in the loneliness.”
Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 NKJV …A time to mourn, and a time to dance…
- After the death of her husband, Emily allowed the Holy Spirit to comfort her and help her mourn.
- Like the fragrance of a corn plant, God wants to bring us to maturity to bring out His fragrance in our lives.
2 Corinthians 2:14-15 NKJV Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place. For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing.
John 15:16 NKJV You did not choose Me, but I chose you and appointed you that you should go and bear fruit, and that your fruit should remain, that whatever you ask the Father in My name He may give you.
- Pray for your family. Pray for your children.
Inspiring Women of the Bible
Luke 2:36-38 ESV And there was a prophetess, Anna, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Asher. She was advanced in years, having lived with her husband seven years from when she was a virgin, and then as a widow until she was eighty-four. She did not depart from the temple, worshiping with fasting and prayer night and day. And coming up at that very hour she began to give thanks to God and to speak of him to all who were waiting for the redemption of Jerusalem.
- Anna loved the house of God.
- She dedicated her life to prayer.
1 Samuel 1 NKJV Hannah’s story
- Hannah is an example of persistent prayer and intercession.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 NLT Always be joyful. Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.
Revelation 12:11 NKJV And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death.
Stir Up the Gift Within You
2 Timothy 1:6 NKJV Therefore I remind you to stir up the gift of God which is in you through the laying on of my hands.
- When we pray according to God’s will, He will do it.
- Anything you need is in the Word of God.
Isaiah 55:11 NKJV So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; it shall not return to Me void, but it shall accomplish what I please, and it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.
1 Corinthians 2:16 NKJV For “who has known the mind of the Lord that he may instruct Him?” But we have the mind of Christ.
2 Corinthians 3:18 NKJV But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.
Ephesians 3:16-19 NIV I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
- How Great Thou Art
- Footprints in the Sand poem
- Above All by Michael W. Smith
- When a Corn Plant Blooms
Books Recommended by Emily:
- Destined for the Throne by Paul Billheimer
- This Day We Fight! by Francis Frangipane
- Hinds’ Feet on High Places by Hannah Hurnard
- Intimate Friendship with God by Joy Dawson
- In Search of a Father’s Blessing by Doug Stringer (update of Who’s Your Daddy Now)
Connect with Us:
Somebody Cares Prayer Line (855) 459-CARE (2273)
Want to help Widows and Orphans? Join our growing company of women meeting special needs of parentless children and nurturing their unique gifts so they can be ALL God has in mind for them! And help meet real needs of women who have given a lifetime of service to God! Support the Somebody Cares Widows and Orphan fund today!
Share this message with a friend and subscribe for weekly encouragement and inspiration!
You can also receive periodic ministry updates from Somebody Cares, and/or weekly Provoke-a-Thought emails, monthly teaching emails, or join our prayer team by signing up here!