Our Guest: Mary Kemp-Smith
Mary Kemp-Smith has made it a priority to know God, to fellowship with Him, and to make Him known. She has been involved in loving and serving the people of God as a pastor at New Life Church in Houston, Texas for over 30 years. As a wife and mother of four, Mary has a mother’s heart to nurture the body of Christ to maturity.
She’s led women’s ministries, children’s ministry, and hospitality at the church. And since the passing of her first husband, Dusty, she serves as senior pastor of the church with the support and help of her husband, Brett. She believes that the good news of Jesus changes lives and her great joy is to see people transformed by His love.
Key Thoughts and Scriptures:
1 John 5:20 NLT And we know that the Son of God has come, and he has given us understanding so that we can know the true God. And now we live in fellowship with the true God because we live in fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ. He is the only true God, and he is eternal life.
- “Jesus was my everything.”
- “I looked at things differently. Things were brighter, just totally new and fresh.”
- To have sustained revival you have to have discipleship.
- The church needs to have things in place to disciple people to know the Word of God, to know what it all means, to help them in their walk with the Lord and to know Him.
- If God can get it through you, He will get it to you.
“I just did the next thing He told me to do. And that is what I’ve been doing for seven years.”
- Do the next thing God tells you and be obedient.
- God gave Mary a church full of people to love her and help her through.
- Their mission has always been to know Jesus and make Him know.
- “I knew right away it’s not my church. It’s His kingdom. It’s His church.”
- “I know better than to question Your sovereignty and the way that You do things. But I don’t understand and forgive me for being angry at You. I let this go. Lord, You’re my everything.”
- The Lord walked Mary through every step of the way.
- God is saying to His people today to be obedient.
- We know He is going to move. We know the harvest is coming. And it is time for our light to shine as Christians, Christ followers, to help people know Him and who He is.
Mary, Martha’s sister
- She had to learn how to be like Martha’s sister, Mary.
- God has reminded Mary that when she gets weak, tired, or weary, to sit at His feet and stay close to Him.
- Mary chose to sit at His feet when there was chaos around her and disagreement around what she was doing.
- “That is what I want more than anything is to just be close to Jesus and to hear Him plainly and stay in intimacy with Him all day and night.”
- Being in His presence is something we can all do, no matter who we are.
- If you sit at Jesus’ feet, He will be there. He won’t send you away or get up and leave Himself. He will help guard that precious time between you and Him, and it will not be taken away.
Isaiah 46:3-4 NLT “Listen to me, descendants of Jacob, all you who remain in Israel. I have cared for you since you were born. Yes, I carried you before you were born. I will be your God throughout your lifetime—until your hair is white with age. (And) I made you, and I will care for you. I will carry you along and save you.
Connect with Us:
Somebody Cares Prayer Line (855) 459-CARE (2273)
Want to help Widows and Orphans? Join our growing company of women meeting special needs of parentless children and nurturing their unique gifts so they can be ALL God has in mind for them! And help meet real needs of women who have given a lifetime of service to God! Support the Somebody Cares Widows and Orphan fund today!
Share this message with a friend and subscribe for weekly encouragement and inspiration!
You can also receive periodic ministry updates from Somebody Cares, and/or weekly Provoke-a-Thought emails, monthly teaching emails, or join our prayer team by signing up here!